Sound Events

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
StratCaster
Space Kraken

#16 Post by StratCaster »

that was my initial worry....

One thing I was thinking though, was to isolate each sound and give that sound its own main Hz range...

i.e.
*Planet Sound - foremost, has full range
*Industry - clanking churning sounds? (isolate only the high frequencies)
*Farm - I'm at a total loss for this one... maybe the sound of wheat being cut? no idea.
*Mining - drilling sounds (again only high frequencies that will pierce a planet sound)
*Shield - again, more of a crackling sound to cut through

The other thing that might be more likely, as I said before, is to have non-literal sounds. The sound of a farm, could be a 'sound effect', not the actual sounds of chickens and cows. This will take a much deeper thought process. It could probably be achieved by non-musical notes, but a few notes is not out of the question. I wouldn't worry about it interfering with the background music as it will be heard as something totally different. We'd have to really experiment with this.

When I get some time I'll make a little HTML page that simulates the Planet Sidebar and play a premixed track when clicking on the planet - just to get and idea of the look & feel.

IDEA: One approach would be to work backwards. Make a sound that has all sounds (including planet-type sound) fully loaded, then strip away from there.
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#17 Post by tzlaine »

Alright guys, I've added an initial round of sound effects. This covers most of the sounds we listed earlier. The ones I have not yet added are:
13) Planet Background Music (music, instead of sound effect, for the planet detail view)
14) Fleet-Type Sound (plays sound specific to the type of fleet in the fleet detail view)
15) Turn Progressing
You can find a Windows build of FO at:

http://freeorion.sourceforge.net/FreeOr ... _check.zip

Note that this build is not 100% stable; it is a development snapshot. Also, the sounds that I chose are just cheesy-sounding placeholders. However, it is perfect for you guys to experiment with. Simply replace the .wav soundfiles in default/data/sound to change the sounds. Note that I have not put sound files in this directory for all the sounds that are currently supported in the code. To get a complete list of the sounds supported, run FO from a command prompt, like this: "freeorion --help". Look for the UI.sound section.

You can also change the names of the default soundfile names used for each sound, by passing command-line parameters. So to run FO and use "bnc.ogg" instead of "button_click.wav" for button-click sounds, run FO like this from a command line: "freeorion --UI.sound.button-click bnc.ogg".

Note that there is no installer for this build, so just run FO from the unzipped directory. Obviously, to run FO from the command line you need to be in this directory as well.

So now it is time for you guys to come up with the specific set of sounds that we should use for FO v0.3. Let me know when you have it all figured out.
Last edited by tzlaine on Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

awesome

#18 Post by guiguibaah »

- Hey, that's awesome, thanks! This way we can check to see what works where, what doesn't, and perhaps suggest where to put new items in / and out.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#19 Post by StratCaster »

yes, this is great. its the best way to get a feel for what sound will work...
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Sound Events Help Request

#20 Post by guiguibaah »

I've taken Stratcaster's sound events, plus added some of my own, and currently doing the finishing touches on planet focus soundeffects.

Problem is, I've run into a little snag. I'm at a loss at what a "Space Farm" sounds like. I've tried wind, wheat being cut, seeding, etc... Nothing sounds too convincing. I've thought of perhaps the sound a colony of bees and creaking - any suggestions?

Should have the full soundevents completed by the middle of the week.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Sound Events Help Request

#21 Post by Geoff the Medio »

guiguibaah wrote:I'm at a loss at what a "Space Farm" sounds like. [...] any suggestions?
"MOO"

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#22 Post by StratCaster »

it shouldn't be anything too specific... i.e. on earth, farms have things that humans will eventually eat. Since its a generic sound that will apply to 8 or so alien races it will be difficult to make a 'literal' sound.

If you are playing an aquatic race and you click on a farm and hear wheat bailing machines and chickens it might sound out of place.

If there is already an industry sound and/or a mining sound I would use those as a base. I'm guessing either of those sounds have some sort of clanking or the sound of work being done. I guess you could have the same on a farm except make the clanking noises softer since food is being made other than some metallic object.... and add another soft layer underneath to differeciate it to be a farm sound.

Overall, I would suggest vagueness and a non specific food types i.e.milk from cows... and more inline with a production-type sound...

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Hey

#23 Post by guiguibaah »

Hey there's an idea - the sound of a glass being filled mixed with pouring and mixing. Perhaps if I can find some odd animal sound that doesn't sound specific at all, I could put it into there as well.

Ah well, the sounds are just supposed to set the bar anyway :) - I'm pretty sure once the project goes open ther'll be plenty of sound effect and musical engineers.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#24 Post by utilae »

Maybe you could make more of a musical sound, like a piece of music that sounds farm like.

What about the sound of something growing, although that may be difficult.

Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

#25 Post by Sandlapper »

guiguibaah wrote:
I'm at a loss at what a "Space Farm" sounds like. [...] any suggestions?

"MOO"
LOL- what about MOO2 & MOO3

How about the hum of thousands of flourescent lights lighting the crops, combined with some threshing sounds; perhaps an occasional water valve opening and thence a gurgling or rushing water sound; perhaps a water spraying sound; perhaps machete chops as fruit is harvested.

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#26 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Sandlapper wrote:How about the hum of thousands of flourescent lights lighting the crops, combined with some threshing sounds; perhaps an occasional water valve opening and thence a gurgling or rushing water sound; perhaps a water spraying sound; perhaps machete chops as fruit is harvested.
I like this suggestion a lot. :)

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Final Sound events list compiled

#27 Post by guiguibaah »

I've compiled the final sound events list, it can be downloaded here

It is 27 megs big compressed.
I included the old planetary oggs, as I have not had the time yet to go-over them and improve.

total sound effects are, as follows:

balanced_large.wav
balanced_medium.wav
balanced_small.wav

farm_large.wav
farm_medium.wav
farm_small.wav

industry_large.wav
industry_medium.wav
industry_small.wav

mine_large.wav
mine_medium.wav
mine_small.wav

research_large.wav
research_medium.wav
research_small.wav
research_small_alternate.wav

barren.ogg
desert.ogg
inferno.ogg
irradiated.ogg
ocean1.ogg
ocean2.ogg
swamp1.ogg
swamp2.ogg
terran.ogg
toxic.ogg
tundra.ogg

balanced_button_click.wav
farm_button_click.wav
industry_button.click.wav
mine_button.click.wav
research_button.wav

alert.wav
button_click.wav
button_rollover.wav
fleet_button_click.wav
fleet_button_mouseover.wav (is this one redundant?)
fleet_button_rollover.wav
item_select.wav
list_pulldown.wav
list_select.wav
planet_button_click.wav (to be replaced, see sound list.txt)
text_typing.wav
turn_button_click.wav

sidebar_open.wav

window_close.wav
window_maximize.wav
window_minimize.wav

please see Sound list.txt for more info

The zip can be downloaded here, at

http://webhome.idirect.com/~fokpjjjyu/planet.zip

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#28 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I unzipped everything into \FreeOrion\default\data\sound , leaving the planet files in \planet , and am getting UI sounds, but not correctly. I get one sound, then most other UI sounds will just be that sound repeated... For a while I was hearing fleet_button_click.wav for almost everything (button mouseovers, clicking, selecting), and now it's planet_button_click.wav . Could this be due to how I've unpacked the sounds (where should they all be?) or might this be a bug or something bad with my build...?

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#29 Post by StratCaster »

that happened to me as well... sounds were repeating over and over... I thought it was my system since FO doesn't run well anyhow on my system...

Manilla Moxy
Space Floater

works

#30 Post by Manilla Moxy »

I tried downloading the FO build posted here on dis forum 7 messages up and then download the soundeffects and then unzipped and I had the same problem. I then unzipped and told it to overwrite and now things all sound different.

My version is slow I have a TNT2 card and I get funny lines so I dunno if sounds are slow or not but my machine runs FO slow, it's not like UNREAL you know!

What happened to all the musics I wanted to use some for projects but now they are gone?!?
It's cool man!