Design: Mineral Richness

Past public reviews and discussions.
Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#31 Post by Krikkitone »

Actually, how much of a bost depends on how rare and how important you want them.

For a 1.5 ratio of output, a less than 1.5 ratio is necessary for abundance drops if they are to be important late game.

so
UR-13%
R-16%
A-20%
P-24%
UP-27%

I'd actually propose a steeper gradient ~200% increase, with overall average % abundances... and outpurs

5-UltraRich-32
10-VeryRich-16
20-Rich-8
40-Average-4
25-Poor-2

This way, UR worlds would be worth fighting over, even if you had to annihilate the population to do it

EntropyAvatar
Space Kraken

#32 Post by EntropyAvatar »

I like K1's distribution. Ultra-rich planets should really matter.

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#33 Post by skdiw »

concurred.
:mrgreen:

Ace
Pupating Mass

#34 Post by Ace »

The real question is:
What adds to the game?

Poor, Average, and Rich being the normal planet types with Ultra Poor and Ultra Rich being from specials and events I think works best.

Also, if galaxy structure is being used such as in MOO3, systems closer to the core of a galaxy have richer resources and are poorer organic wise. (More Barren and Radiated planets, etc. towards the core)

This adds in a large scale strategic game as the core regions are smaller and resource rich, allowing for player versus player action over the valuable areas and perhaps multiple theaters of war. (Attacking the outer rim homeworlds and the inner rim production systems)

Overall, everything mentioned here as a minimum amount of number crunching, and a maximum amount of gameplay options, I'm hoping that's the type of game being designed here.

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#35 Post by Ablaze »

Ace wrote:Poor, Average, and Rich being the normal planet types with Ultra Poor and Ultra Rich being from specials and events I think works best.
So then what would an ultra rich planet be classified as? NULL?

"This is a biologically diverse planet with a NULL mineral abundance and an Ultra Rich special”?

I must be missing your point. I don’t see how separating some planet classifications into specials adds anything to gameplay.
Ace wrote:Overall, everything mentioned here as a minimum amount of number crunching, and a maximum amount of gameplay options, I'm hoping that's the type of game being designed here.
I’m sorry to have to inform you that the focus around here is not on minimizing number crunching and maximizing gameplay. It’s about streamlining the interface and maximizing gameplay. I almost never hear anyone mention how processor intensive a particular idea will be.
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

EntropyAvatar
Space Kraken

#36 Post by EntropyAvatar »

Welcome, Ace.
Ace wrote:Poor, Average, and Rich being the normal planet types with Ultra Poor and Ultra Rich being from specials and events I think works best.
I think events that affect richness are pretty likely. Perhaps you could expand on why the really rich planets should be specials.
Also, if galaxy structure is being used such as in MOO3, systems closer to the core of a galaxy have richer resources and are poorer organic wise. (More Barren and Radiated planets, etc. towards the core)
the outer rim homeworlds and the inner rim production systems)
Some type of large-scale geography along these lines would be interesting. One would have to be careful that one race or another isn't screwed by the starting position.
Overall, everything mentioned here as a minimum amount of number crunching, and a maximum amount of gameplay options,
I prefer to thing of it as letting the player make the interesting decisions. It's not so much number-crunching that I dislike; figuring out the best weapon load-out for a certain situation can be number-intensive and fun. What really sucks is a lot of clicking that involves no decisions at all. I want a high decision:click ratio.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#37 Post by iamrobk »

I DEFINATELY like the idea of different parts of the galaxy having different general statistics.

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#38 Post by skdiw »

That would be really cool. It would be like civ's random map generation. The problem is that we already got galaxy generation passed and implemented already. O well. Hope somebody can mod it.
:mrgreen:

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#39 Post by Aquitaine »

It shouldn't be too much of a big deal to change the formula that determines the probability of mineral-rich planets relative to distance to the galactic core. It's not in the official reqs because that's the sort of thing that should be modded in, but I think it probably could be.

-Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#40 Post by Obiwan »

I know the thread has moved on a bit but this comment by drek interested me.
I was thinking tooltips, nice big fat ones like in Rise of Nations. Mouse over stuff like planet sizes, specials (or whatever) and a large block of text immediatly pops up to explain the effects of what you're looking at.
The graphic program Zbrush does just that but in a rather clever way.
Hover your mouse over an item and a small tooltip quickly appears. Press Ctrl while doing this and a large amount of info becomes visible.
Its a very natural system, masses of info, but never annoying or obtrussive.
Hope this is helpful.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

tooltips

#41 Post by guiguibaah »

now THAT would be nice. Of course, you'd have to get some poeple organized to write all the tooltips triggers and tooltip text. Something Moo3 sorely lacked.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.