Request to make preferredfocus switchable in game play

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

What Exit?
Space Floater

Request to make preferredfocus switchable in game play

#1 Post by What Exit? »

If possible can the Preferred Focus become an in-game switch? This is minor but would help game play. There comes a time when you want to switch from a default of Research to Production. It could be either in Options, the Empires Window or maybe just after the Turn Advance Switch.

Thank you,
Jim

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Request to make preferredfocus switchable in game play

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Preferred focus is not just a UI convenience. A species being on or not on its preferred focus affects their happiness. This is not something that can or should be changed in the options menu.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#3 Post by em3 »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Preferred focus is not just a UI convenience. A species being on or not on its preferred focus affects their happiness. This is not something that can or should be changed in the options menu.
So maybe add an UI option to choose between "Preferred" and one of "Forced" default foci?
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

em3 wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:Preferred focus is not just a UI convenience. A species being on or not on its preferred focus affects their happiness. This is not something that can or should be changed in the options menu.
So maybe add an UI option to choose between "Preferred" and one of "Forced" default foci?
This is an idea with legs, I like the idea that preferred focus is the default for each species, but in the later game it can be a minor annoyance, if you can force an empire wide "start on X focus if possible" setting available through Objects that could work.

I normally accept the default unless it's a very one sided system until I've got all the techs I need, at which point everything goes to industry, the ability to bulk change through Objects has been a godsend there.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#5 Post by labgnome »

MatGB wrote:This is an idea with legs, I like the idea that preferred focus is the default for each species, but in the later game it can be a minor annoyance, if you can force an empire wide "start on X focus if possible" setting available through Objects that could work.
You know this is sounding like a relevant application of something like a "government type" or "social policy". Although that makes me think if we do that we should assess which species (aside from just about all) get all of the "advanced foci".
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.