Question about a certian TEch.

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Redcap
Graphics

Question about a certian TEch.

#1 Post by Redcap »

Looking at all the different Techs, and I like a lot of them but had a question about this one. Singularity of Transcendence. What is it? It just doesn't seem with the rest of the techs. What does a belief of Godhood have to do with a space strategy game? I am just a little confused by this one. Any enlightenment on the matter would be appreciated, but personally I would vote to take this tech out as it seems to be a bad interpretation of religion in general and I don't see how it could effect game play.

Josh
Graphics

Re: Question about a certian TEch.

#2 Post by Josh »

Are you familiar with SMAC? Just wondering, I don't think any SMAC fan would have a question about this.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

It's a combination of technological singularity and transcendence in the sense of moving to a new plane of existance as inspired by the Ascent to Transcendence victory condition of Alpha Centauri. Previous belief in a god is irrelivant; the transcendence victors become gods... (by some definitions of godhood)

Josh
Graphics

#4 Post by Josh »

Geoff, it seemed so dull to give him the straight answer. Couldn't we just tell him it's the rapture for nerds?

Redcap
Graphics

#5 Post by Redcap »

So it is like star gate in the fact that you become so advanced that every lower culture looks at you as a god, despite you still being yourself. You are just smarter than others so can act all high and mighty. Is that the general idea?

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Redcap wrote:So it is like star gate in the fact that you become so advanced that every lower culture looks at you as a god, despite you still being yourself. You are just smarter than others so can act all high and mighty. Is that the general idea?
No. Others don't look at you as a god; you (if any sense of a personality remains) are "a god". More than likely you have no interest in acting high and mighty, as the affairs of lesser beings are completely irrelivant to you. You have literally moved to a new plane / form of existance.

Josh
Graphics

#7 Post by Josh »

Rapture of the nerds. Game over, you win.

Redcap
Graphics

#8 Post by Redcap »

I see, so it isn't some stupid theory of religion that your culture begins to espouse, you don't begin to supress people like a crazed lunatic seeking for power. You simply become so advanced that your race transends others to the state of "god-hood" or rapture of nerds or what have you... So you get this tech and you win? That seems anti-climatic. I would think you needed to blow more things up. Ahh well.

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Right now the tech does nothing. Eventually it might be related to a victory condition, but usually tech-related victories require building something, after getting the associated techs, to actually win.

The existance of a tech-related victory condition does not preclude there being a conquest victory condition as well.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by eleazar »

Redcap wrote:So it is like star gate....
If you need a StarGate reference it's becoming the Ascended Ancients, not the Asgard.

Redcap
Graphics

#11 Post by Redcap »

I am new and understand that I don't have much clout, but I am thinking that if I had a question about this tech others in the future will as well. Instead of having some kind of abstract/theological view on this tech what if you approach this tech solely through a scientific explaination such as:

What is sentients? Is there a different level of sentients that one can attain? Just as one is not concerned with the mundane lives of ants can one attain a level of thought that raises them above the concerns of the universe around them?

That is a rough draft, but I think it may be smarter to try and stick to something more scientificy than talking about godhood as a science.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#12 Post by shrinkshooter »

Redcap wrote:That is a rough draft, but I think it may be smarter to try and stick to something more scientificy than talking about godhood as a science.
Agreed, but keep in mind that just because it mentions something religious in a sense does not mean it has to go. If it works, stick with it. I'll look at the description soon and see if I can come up with something better.
Redcap wrote:I see, so it isn't some stupid theory of religion that your culture begins to espouse, you don't begin to supress people like a crazed lunatic seeking for power
And what's wrong with that if it were a tech?

-------------------

Here it is: "Technological singularity and unified understanding of virtually everything involved with existence combine to form the epitome of sentience: ascension to a higher plane of existence. With the current plane thoroughly explored and understood, the final understanding of ascension to a higher plane has at last come to fruition. The ability to essentially rise to the power of gods is now within grasp of your people, and the decision is made to become estranged from the ravages of war and embrace transcendance."

IMO, this is very rough around the edges and requires polishing, so if anyone has any suggestions let me know.
Photobucket account for FreeOrion and List of Techs and Icons

[[[===LEAN, MEAN, PURPLE AND GREEN MACHINE===]]]

Redcap
Graphics

#13 Post by Redcap »

I like the new version 1200% more than the old version. Again my only beef with the new version is this sentence:

[quote]The ability to essentially rise to the power of gods is now within grasp of your people [quote]

Again "the power of gods" gives me the picture of Zeus or something like that. I think just explaining in a matter of fact way what that power is may sound better. An example may bee like this:

"The ability to essentially rise to the power of" (living forever) or (assending to a higher plain of exsitence) or (understanding the fabric of the universe) or (fill in something you like). I think a more scientific approach would still make the game content seem more seamless, also the idea that you win a space strategy game by "becoming a god" seems a little off to me.

With that said; however, thank you for actually responding to my posts, and I think it is sounding a lot better already. Thanks so much for your time.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#14 Post by shrinkshooter »

Redcap wrote:With that said; however, thank you for actually responding to my posts, and I think it is sounding a lot better already. Thanks so much for your time.
Don't downplay your own involvement with something. You may be new but that does not make you any less important as far as opinions are concerned. Although it is the leads who make the final decisions in everything, it is the community who provides the material and ideas, and who concentrates on trying to make the game better.

No need to thank me for my time; makes me feel like I'm some wealthy pennypincher too busy to bother with the unwashed masses. Everyone here comes and goes as much as they feel. Just keep in mind though that since you are new, and I am relatively new as well, you're going to go through a learning experience or two. Especially in the arts department, where it's pretty much a time sinkhole; you can provide ideas, and then spend lots of time on them, only for them not to be used ultimately. I tried doing icons once and failed, so I decided to cut my losses. I mean I'm doing this for free, as is everyone else, so it's better to let the more experienced graphics artists (Josh and pd) handle the stuff I can't do. Or suck at, to be exact. Espousing "never give up" may be a good thing for morale but sometimes it's just a bad move to keep going with something. In contrast, I'll tell you now that your work is going to wind up criticised or not used at all sometime in the future, but unfortunately that's the beast that lives in the world of art. Whatcha gonna do.

Anyhow, back on track: I understand your desire to delete the word "god" from the description but I'm reluctant to do so. Not for any religious reasons but the word "god" is synonymous with "the ultimate power to do anything and everything" which is pretty much what this tech is. Maybe if I change it to "the power of a god" instead of "the power of gods" you'd get a better idea of actual God, and not the Greek or Roman ones who were pitiful and flawed.
Photobucket account for FreeOrion and List of Techs and Icons

[[[===LEAN, MEAN, PURPLE AND GREEN MACHINE===]]]

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#15 Post by pd »

Although it is the leads who make the final decisions in everything, it is the community who provides the material and ideas, and who concentrates on trying to make the game better.
Funny, you make it sound like the leads just do decision making and the community does all the work :)

On this god issue: I think it adds a nice touch. Did you notice that recent quantum physics deal with issues that can be approached theological as well?