Balancing growth techs

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

gvdm
Space Floater

Balancing growth techs

#1 Post by gvdm »

Example:
Terrans on medium ocean vs medium terran.
Medium Terran is 15 to start and Medium Ocean is 3.
Then comes Symbiotic Biology which gives a +9 for the medium ocean but nothing for the terrans on their own homes!
And then Xenological Genetics for another +12.

End result, Terrans have 15 on their ideal planets and 23 on ocean planets.

In this way it makes strategic sense to colonise adequate planets rather than good ones for the population bonus.

I imagine this affects other growth techs. A quick look at techs.txt shows that some growth techs are already prevented from stacking.
Whats the ideas for fixing? Shrink the bonus, or be more exclusive with growths stacking?

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Balancing growth techs

#2 Post by eleazar »

Good catch.

Sometimes techs don't stack to make the interface clearer. For instance the garrison techs i added are all mutually exclusive, so the troop strength meter says:
  • "Garrison 3: +40"
rather than:
  • "Garrison 1: +10
    Garrison 2: +10
    Garrison 3: +20"
Similarly for growth techs probably one only ones that should be mutually exclusive are the ones that are supposed to be the same sort of thing.

It's quite possible that while removing redundant theories i broke the stacking exclusion for some techs. I usually kept the name of the theory, while deleting the name of the application, and giving the theory the application's effects.

I don't have much time today. If you want to investigate this further please feel free and report whatever else you find.

EDIT:
Xenological Hybrids and Xenological Genetics were supposed to have bonuses that didn't stack. I broke it earlier, but it should be fixed as of revision 4476.

EDIT2: The tunnels special was also effected. Fixed in revision 4478. Now i'm searching all files for references to removed techs.

gvdm
Space Floater

#3 Post by gvdm »

Good work. Fast moving devs build momentum :D

Just another thing, medium adequate planets that get to cyborg (and the xeno tech below cyborg) have more pop than medium good planets.

I would have thought that good planets would always provide the best population for a species adapted to that environment by default.

Perhaps these growth techs should add a small bonus to good planets as well, not as big as the bonus given to adequate/poor etc but enough to ensure that good planets will always have a larger max/target population.
Last edited by gvdm on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

gvdm wrote:Good work. Fast moving devs build momentum :D
I don't like leaving my mistakes in the repository to mess up people.
gvdm wrote:Just another thing, medium adequate planets that get to cyborg (and the xeno tech below cyborg) have more pop than medium good planets.

I would have though that good planets would always provide the best population for a species adapted to that environment by default.
I agree, they should always be best. Certainly they shouldn't be worse.