Gas giants, asteroids and all uncommon bodies

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Lukc
Space Floater

Gas giants, asteroids and all uncommon bodies

#1 Post by Lukc »

Hi *.

I felt that asteroids, and more particularly gas giants, were underexploited. I modified a little the techs.txt to permit increasing a little the population around gas giants (after all, they have dozens of moons and a lot of light gases) after… well, spending some research points in it.

Here is the diff: http://lukc.upyum.com/freeorion/gg.diff (gg meaning Gas Giant, of course)

It add two technologies to increase the max population of gas giants to 3, and give a +3 health bonus*. There is a third technology that is in fact here to add defense bonuses on belts/gas giants, using asteroid defense platforms.

Take whatever you think cool. \o/

* I wasn’t very convinced myself, but I kept these “high” values because the basic outposts already go up to 1. If not, I would have put the max populations to 1 after the first tech, and to 1.5 or two after the second. As for the health bonus, I felt it was wrong not to add it, because the tech is so much cooler with it, but in the meantime I also felt it was wrong to add it, because it advantages too much gas giants over asteroids. :(

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Gas giants, asteroids and all uncommon bodies

#2 Post by eleazar »

Lukc wrote:Hi *.

I felt that asteroids, and more particularly gas giants, were underexploited. I modified a little the techs.txt to permit increasing a little the population around gas giants (after all, they have dozens of moons and a lot of light gases) after… well, spending some research points in it.

Here is the diff: http://lukc.upyum.com/freeorion/gg.diff (gg meaning Gas Giant, of course)

It add two technologies to increase the max population of gas giants to 3, and give a +3 health bonus*. There is a third technology that is in fact here to add defense bonuses on belts/gas giants, using asteroid defense platforms.

Take whatever you think cool. \o/

* I wasn’t very convinced myself, but I kept these “high” values because the basic outposts already go up to 1. If not, I would have put the max populations to 1 after the first tech, and to 1.5 or two after the second. As for the health bonus, I felt it was wrong not to add it, because the tech is so much cooler with it, but in the meantime I also felt it was wrong to add it, because it advantages too much gas giants over asteroids. :(
Hi.
The 1 population thing is sort of a hack, since currently that's the only way to do anything with them. When we can properly implement outposts, they will probably have 0 population.

But if we wanted to make them population centers, we'd probably go further, and allow them to bear larger and more useful amounts of population.

Hopefully we'll get to properly implementing outposts between now and v0.5. That would be a good time IMHO to consider weather to make these guys good for population.