Semi-autonomous Exobots - player constructed robots

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Lukc
Space Floater

Re: Semi-autonomous Exobots - player constructed robots

#16 Post by Lukc »

Here’s the diff that should make medicine/genetics/symbiotic biology techs useless for non-organic species:
http://lukc.upyum.com/freeorion/nonorganics.diff

However, I tend to disagree on the fact we should not make at least one or two techs to replace those for non-organics species. It does make those species very disadvantaged, particularly for the lack of health bonus (population is not much of a problem, as using other species is possible…).
eleazar wrote:Thats better considered after the main tree is more complete and polished.
What is lacking most in the main tree? Maybe I could suggest some techs, while I’m at it…

Sloth
Content Scripter

#17 Post by Sloth »

eleazar wrote:
Lukc wrote:They have a great strategic interest, so I wonder if putting some more prerequisites wouldn’t be a bad thing. At least enough to have as much prerequisites as Xenological Hybdridization which also allows colonizing poor and hostile planets.
Yeah, they are probably too low on the tech tree.
Well, the "Artificial Minds" tech should definitely be required for Exobots.
eleazar wrote:
Sloth wrote:It should be easy to make an effect that gives a population based bonus to all your planets inhabited by Exobots.
If we made other population bonuses not effect them.
I wrote "population based bonus". For example the existing "Sentient Automation" tech could have the effect "SetTargetIndustry Value + Target.Population" for all planets inhabited by Exobots, which would promote them from "average industry" to "good industry" (which is possibly too powerful, but "SetTargetIndustry Value + Target.Population * 0.5" might be ok).

EDIT: Or they start out with "poor industry" and "Sentient Automation" promotes them to "average industry".
Lukc wrote:
eleazar wrote:Thats better considered after the main tree is more complete and polished.
What is lacking most in the main tree? Maybe I could suggest some techs, while I’m at it…
Economic techs are missing and the ship techs are very rough for obvious reasons.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#18 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Sloth wrote:
Lukc wrote:
Economic techs are missing and the ship techs are very rough for obvious reasons.
In other words, there's no real way to do much about it right now.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#19 Post by eleazar »

Lukc wrote:Here’s the diff that should make medicine/genetics/symbiotic biology techs useless for non-organic species:
Cool, committed: revision 4740.
Lukc wrote:However, I tend to disagree on the fact we should not make at least one or two techs to replace those for non-organics species. It does make those species very disadvantaged...
That's OK, minor species don't need to be of equally useful. Just interesting, and better than totally useless. Most non-organic species have "NO_FOOD_USE", so that evens things up somewhat.
Lukc wrote:
The problem isn't so much a lack of techs (except of course for features we haven't implemented yet), but too many techs, especially the ones that do nothing, difficult navigation, and multiple different concept of what the tree should be like according to who build a particular part.

It's going to need a big overhaul sometime, (once we figure out what to do) which is a big pain, so avoiding over-inflating the tree will make that easier.

EDIT:
revision 4741
Added Artificial Minds as a prerequisite .