New tech idea: Xenopaleontology

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

qsswin
Pupating Mass

Re: New tech idea: Xenopaleontology

#16 Post by qsswin »

Sloth wrote: 4. The building "Kilandow Colony Origin" can be build on a planet with the ANCIENT_RUINS_DEPLETED_SPECIAL. It's rather expensive costing 800 + 120 * [[COLONY_UPKEEP_MULTIPLICATOR]].
That seems rather expensive considering that the Kilandow aren't especially good: they are exactly the same as the Chato, except without the broad EP.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#17 Post by Dilvish »

This would be the only species for which Radiated env is "Good", which is notable.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#18 Post by qsswin »

Dilvish wrote:This would be the only species for which Radiated env is "Good", which is notable.
Which isn't something intentional? I'm pretty sure that we don't have any species like that since we don't have enough species yet. If there was some decision to make Radiated not initially playable, I didn't hear about it.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#19 Post by Sloth »

qsswin wrote:
Sloth wrote: 4. The building "Kilandow Colony Origin" can be build on a planet with the ANCIENT_RUINS_DEPLETED_SPECIAL. It's rather expensive costing 800 + 120 * [[COLONY_UPKEEP_MULTIPLICATOR]].
That seems rather expensive considering that the Kilandow aren't especially good: they are exactly the same as the Chato, except without the broad EP.
I dismissed the idea of using another tech (mainly because the tech tree is broad enough already), so an expensive build cost is the only investment you have make to get a new species. This way you really have to decide whether you need them or not.

That said, i'm still pondering about how to make them a little more special. Suggestions welcome.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Karoushi
Space Squid

#20 Post by Karoushi »

Sloth wrote:
That said, i'm still pondering about how to make them a little more special. Suggestions welcome.
Instead of adding 'new tech', use existing tech and give it more content so that it has more then one thing to offer.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#21 Post by AndrewW »

Sloth wrote:That said, i'm still pondering about how to make them a little more special. Suggestions welcome.
They like radioactive planets, maybe this gives them a little bit of their own radioactivity, needed in the construction of something (weapon type, faster engines, shielding, radioactive hulls that give off so much sensors pick them up as something larger (ie: appears as more ships, larger weapons then what is actually there until you are in the same system as them)?

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#22 Post by Bigjoe5 »

qsswin wrote:
Dilvish wrote:This would be the only species for which Radiated env is "Good", which is notable.
Which isn't something intentional? I'm pretty sure that we don't have any species like that since we don't have enough species yet. If there was some decision to make Radiated not initially playable, I didn't hear about it.
It is intentional. Eleazar intentionally changed the Trith's EP from Radiated to desert, and eventually hopes to remove the Radiated environment entirely, and replace it with some sort of negative special.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#23 Post by eleazar »

Bigjoe5 wrote:
qsswin wrote:
It is intentional. Eleazar intentionally changed the Trith's EP from Radiated to desert, and eventually hopes to remove the Radiated environment entirely, and replace it with some sort of negative special.
Intentional. At the time it was an issue of making sense of the techs.

It is also true that proportionately few species concepts work with "Radiated" worlds, but we have some minor species. There's no ban, and it is less of an issue now without food. And i've come more to the position of ignoring tech descriptions as a reason to do anything. Descriptions can be changed to match desired mechanics.

Maybe Trith should be put back to Radiated.

"Radiated" is IMHO a term much better used for a universally bad special, but i'd keep 9 EPs and simply renamed "Radiated". No reason to clear off the Radiated EP before hand.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#24 Post by Sloth »

AndrewW wrote:They like radioactive planets, maybe this gives them a little bit of their own radioactivity, needed in the construction of something (weapon type, faster engines, shielding, radioactive hulls that give off so much sensors pick them up as something larger (ie: appears as more ships, larger weapons then what is actually there until you are in the same system as them)?
Radiating themselves is interesting. Because of that, i will give them Bad Stealth instead of Bad Ground Troops. Now if only i could think of something positive to give them...
eleazar wrote:Maybe Trith should be put back to Radiated.
That sounds good. Ignoring humans, there would be 9 playable species, one for each EP.
eleazar wrote:"Radiated" is IMHO a term much better used for a universally bad special, but i'd keep 9 EPs and simply renamed "Radiated". No reason to clear off the Radiated EP before hand.
Most important for me would be to keep the purple color of the Radiated planets (whatever it becomes).
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#25 Post by Zireael »

I love the OP's idea. The species being radiating themselves... neat!

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#26 Post by AndrewW »

Zireael wrote:I love the OP's idea. The species being radiating themselves... neat!
Well, Original Poster of that idea, not of this thread though. I claim no responsiblity for coming up with the initial idea.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#27 Post by Sloth »

It has been more than 3 years, but now it is done: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/340

When Xenoarcheology uncovers the secrets of an Ancient Ruins special there is a 75% chance of finding one of the three extinct species (25% each). Meaning there are 4 Ancient Ruins Depleted specials. Xenoarcheology will now also unlock the building "Xenoresurrection Lab" which allows you to build colony buildings of the species found, when build on the planet with the respective Ancient Ruins Depleted special.
The three extinct species are:
Banforo: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9576
Kilandow: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7206
Misiorla: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9566

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#28 Post by MatGB »

My only issue with this implementation is I'd been vaguely toying with the idea of having different depleted specials for the different tech results so that you could learn the tech if you capture the ruins but that was only a vague idea. Good job, way more complex than the way I'd have done it but probably better (apart from the typos). I assume it tests OK?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#29 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:My only issue with this implementation is I'd been vaguely toying with the idea of having different depleted specials for the different tech results so that you could learn the tech if you capture the ruins but that was only a vague idea.
Well now you can get the species when you capture it (even before the explorer does, when you are fast enough).

MatGB wrote:I assume it tests OK?
I had to test and fix, test and fix stuff for hours until i got to this result and didn't see anything wrong anymore.
Especially adjusting col_bld_gen.py and not forgetting to actually running it drove me crazy.

But since this is my biggest work for FO yet, i would be surprised if no issues would pop up at some point. :D

pheonixstorm
Space Squid

#30 Post by pheonixstorm »

Can't wait to try it out. It looks like it will add additional depth to the game if the part about letting them run amok is in there (too tired to grab the original txt off p 1)