UDL (User-Defined Language) for Notepad++

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: UDL (User-Defined Language) for Notepad++

#16 Post by Bigjoe5 »

eleazar wrote:A name would be useful.

I think something distinct would be more beneficial than a clever acronym. A search for "focs" or whatever would work much better than for "focus"
After forgetting about this thread for a while and having to do a forum search to find it, I have to concede that you may have a point. Focs seems OK, as it's distinctive, and is the obvious acronym for FreeOrion Content Script. Also, it sounds like Fox, so you don't sound like an idiot when you say it out loud ("What language is that?" "Forcs." "WTF?").
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#17 Post by em3 »

Bigjoe5 wrote:Also, it sounds like Fox, so you don't sound like an idiot when you say it out loud ("What language is that?" "Forcs." "WTF?").
Well, "Forks" sounds like "Forks", which has some computer science associations. Still, Focs sounds better, I guess. Less is more.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#18 Post by eleazar »

Google English Hits (not case sensitive)

Code: Select all

"FOrCS"       136,000
"FOCS"      1,500,000
"FOCOS"    15,200,000
"FOCUS" 1,100,000,000
Though i think the obviousness of "FOCS" counteracts the search-ability of "FOrCS" somewhat. Some of the other suggestions i didn't include here seems too un-obvious, or unlikely to be more searchable.