Experimental performance pack Rev6104

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Cluesen
Space Floater

Experimental performance pack Rev6104

#1 Post by Cluesen »

With larger a game setups and/or advanced turn number performance is going down.
That is nothing new and was mentioned several times.
Especially navigation in the GalaxyMap becomes real slow.
I took some time to search for possible reasons and remedies.
The more objects in a game the more macros have to be executed and if a macro doesn't use a proper filter it needlessly consumes ressources.
So my prime objective was to locate and remove such performance leaks.
I found possible leaks in the location tags for buildings and shipHulls.
I have no idea how to measure if there really is a performance boost, but it feels faster.
Especially in production menu switching from one SidePanel planet to another in the same system is boosted.
Netherthless, don't expect this to work miracles.
I wanted to test this longer, but realising a new test revision was already released i thought i'd better share my results already.
The package supplied is experimental, so make sure you have backups of the files before you replace something.

Mostly i worked over the location tags, but there's also a few other things included.
The file attached contains modified versions of buildings.txt and ship_hulls.txt as of Rev. 6104.
More documentation inside the files themselves.
experimental_performance_pack_rev6104.rar
(10.65 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
The beauty of travel is visiting foreign countries and meeting new people.
G.Khan

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Experimental performance pack Rev6104

#2 Post by Dilvish »

ok well I just installed unrar so that I could look at this, but if you want more folks to look at it I recommend simply attaching such short text files as-is, or using zip.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

When submitting code or content files, please use four spaces instead of tabs.

You did change a few things that might affect in-game behaviour, such as not requiring a planet's shipyard to be owned by the empire trying to produce a drydock there (and similar cases for other buildings and hulls).

Adding Planet tests to the start of location conditions for buildings or hulls probably doesn't help much, since those tests are only applied to single planets anyway, when deciding if a ship or building can be produced at that planet, I think.

The other location condition reorderings are probably OK.

Cluesen
Space Floater

#4 Post by Cluesen »

Well, i was not sure about the planet thing but i saw it in some other macros.
If location could be any object in game i thought it's best to reduce the choice to planets first, thus eliminating ships, fleets, buildings, etc.

As for some ship(yard) prerequisits, if it can only be built at a planet 'owned by the empire' with certain buildings,
these buildings are 'owned by the empire' anyway, or is there a possibility for one empire to have a shipyard on another empires planet?
So far i thought ownership of all buildings on a planet is derived from the ownership of the planet itself?

I'm not as far into the game and coding as you are, only did some trial and error tests, but scored some result.

As for the tabs, that should not be a problem, you can use sed to change them.
This command changes all tabs in file1.txt into 4 spaces and writes the result to file2.txt :

Code: Select all

sed "s/\t/    /g;" file1.txt>file2.txt
This should work for a unix/linux sed as well as for the windows one that can be found at http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ .
Of course i'll do that for future code as well before submitting.
G.Khan

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Cluesen wrote:If location could be any object in game i thought it's best to reduce the choice to planets first, thus eliminating ships, fleets, buildings, etc.
The location conditions for buildings or ship parts are generally used to test whether a single particular object is an acceptable location, not to test all possible objects. In practice, it's generally only necessary to test planets, so an extra test to check if an object is a planet should be redundant.
...is there a possibility for one empire to have a shipyard on another empires planet?
Effects could be set up to make this happen, and possibly other game mechanics. It's not a normal occurence, though.
So far i thought ownership of all buildings on a planet is derived from the ownership of the planet itself?
No; each object is independently owned by a single empire or no empire.

Cluesen
Space Floater

#6 Post by Cluesen »

Here's a converted version without tabs in zip format:
experimental_performance_pack_rev6104.zip
(11.03 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
G.Khan

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Cluesen wrote:Here's a converted version...
That's better, but the other issues remain.

If you could do some timing tests to demonstrate that the Planet location condition additions are actually beneficial, that would motivate including them. There is a verbose logging option in the UI tab that should increase the amount of detail in the logs, including timing information for various things the game does. Looking for ProductionQueue::Update time log entries might be useful. Likely a full queue of buildings and/or ship designs would be good to test for the location conditions.