Species Differentiation Continues...

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Species Differentiation Continues...

#16 Post by Dilvish »

eleazar wrote:Dilvish: Would a better workflow be for me (or whoever makes AI-effecting changes) to submit the changes as a patch, and then you commit the patch with the necessary AI updates when you're ready?
My time is more constrained these days & there's a lot on my FO to-do list I've been wanting to get to but haven't yet, so that makes me concerned about holding up changes indefinitely waiting for me to adjust the AI for them. On the other hand, I think it would be good to limit the extent to which the AI performance takes a serious hit while the AI waits for updates to catch up to some recent change-- keeping the weekly builds fairly playable with some sense of challenge seems to me to be good for our momentum, community involvement & likelihood of attracting more folks to contribute.

So, for things that are likely to make trouble for the AI, I would encourage folks to post a patch to give me a chance to at least get started on adapting to it, but not necessarily waiting on me to commit the patch. Mostly, the person who made it should have tested it enough to have a feeling for how much it damages AI performance & they can make a judgement how important it is for an AI adjustment to go in at or around the same time.

As I think about how much I've been able to get done (or not) in FO lately, it makes me a bit discouraged about keeping up with the AI under any plan, so I don't know, I don't have a good workflow to suggest.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0