Trith: Xenophobic self sustainign pop malus

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Trith: Xenophobic self sustainign pop malus

#1 Post by MatGB »

I had never noticed this before, don't play Trith often.

Code: Select all

EffectsGroup
            scope = Source
            activation = And [
                PopulationCenter
                HasTag "SELF_SUSTAINING"
            ]
            stackinggroup = "XENOPHOBIC_POP_SELF"
            accountinglabel = "XENOPHOBIC_LABEL_SELF"
            effects = SetTargetPopulation Value * (0.6 + (0.4 * (0.8 ^ 
                Count condition = And [
                    PopulationCenter
                    WithinStarlaneJumps 5 Source
                    VisibleToEmpire Source.Owner
                    Not OR [ 
                        Species Source.Species
                        Species "SP_EXOBOT"
                    ]
                    Not Population high = 0
                ]
                ) ) )
Population centre within 5 jumps that's visible to the Trith player. I've just moved my scouts away from the nearby natives and AI homeworld and moved active radar down the queue from its normal high position in my new game where I've set myself a Task. Malus gone.

That's not really optimal. I sorta like the way Xenophobia is supposed to work, but the specific details never quite seem to work for me.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Trith: Xenophobic self sustainign pop malus

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Hmm, good point, the condition requires current visibility (basic or better). To make things like this work properly, a few coding & scripting changes would be needed.

VisibleToEmpire should probably be adjusted to take an optional parameter for the minimum visibility [Basic, Partial]. A new condition "HasBeenVisibleToEmpire" could be introduced, also taking an optional min visibility, and perhaps also taking an optional number of turns (max turns ago that visibility counts, default is no limit).

For Xenophobia there would still be the complication that even if the planet had been seen in the past, if it hadn't been colonized at that time then it wouldn't make a lot of sense to penalize the Xenophobe. I think what might be reasonable would be to count alien colonies if the planet is currently visible (Basic or better) to the xenophobe, or if it has any buildings or orbitals that have ever been visible to the xenophobe.

It would still give the xenophobe the option of staying away from / 'ignoring' the alien colony if it was not at all developed when it was observed (i.e., 'clearly an insignificant species'), but that seems like a reasonable 'out-of-sight, out-of-mind' attitude for a neurotic xenophobe.

Or, we could just scrap the xenophobe idea. It was a bit of an experiment to try balancing the Trith and Eaxaw, and is a nice idea in general, but the question of whether its implementation is good enough to remain can be open for discussion
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0