Add "does not stack" information to building descriptions

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Sloth
Content Scripter

Add "does not stack" information to building descriptions

#1 Post by Sloth »

I've made a pull request for a commit that just changes some entries in en.txt. Most of them consist of adding the line "Multiple copies in the same supply connection do not stack."
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Add "does not stack" information to building description

#2 Post by MatGB »

Just commented there, good job, but agree with Dilvish about the whole "use a macro" thing, which I'm still learning how to do myself, wish I'd known when I redid all the ship hull descriptions, will probably redo them using one at some point.

Thanks, even as is definite improvement but the request to rebase the pull went over my head so I'll leave that to be sorted by more experienced minds. Definitely liking that git allows us to do this sort of thing far more easily.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#3 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:Just commented there, good job, but agree with Dilvish about the whole "use a macro" thing, which I'm still learning how to do myself, wish I'd known when I redid all the ship hull descriptions, will probably redo them using one at some point.
I can make a macro like this:

Code: Select all

NO_STACK_SUPPLY_CONNECTION_MACRO
Multiple copies in the same supply connection do not stack.
But where do i put it? There's no macro usage like this yet. Even the 20+ colony building descripions (which are all the same) don't use macros.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

I thought they were going to be changed to do so, I do know Vezzra created a Python script to make that file as it was a lot easier. Put it in en.txt anywhere, there actually is usage like this for the species descriptions, all the Ultimate/Good Industry/research descriptors (Species Picks) are macros, and they're used like this:

SP_ACIREMA_GAMEPLAY_DESC
'''A race with nearly limitless power, that cannot survive in this universe.
Prefers Radiated planets.
[[encyclopedia SELF_SUSTAINING_SPECIES_TITLE]]

[[GREAT_INDUSTRY]]
[[GOOD_RESEARCH]]

[[AVERAGE_POPULATION]]
[[GREAT_SUPPLY]]
[[AVERAGE_GROUND_TROOPS]]
'''
I only figured this out myself when we decided to change the way broad tolerance is descibed. So probably put the macro down with species picks, I'd actually create a new heading called Text Macros or something, that way we encourage/remind ourselves to use/create more.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Sloth wrote:I can make a macro like this:

NO_STACK_SUPPLY_CONNECTION_MACRO
Multiple copies in the same supply connection do not stack.
I think we should avoid putting things like "MACRO" at the end because so many many of the keys are macros, both for text and for functional scripts, so it is not very descriptive. If you want the title to more clearly indicate that it is descriptive rather than a functional script macro, then perhaps something like NO_STACK_SUPPLY_CONNECTION_DESC, or NO_STACK_SUPPLY_CONNECTION_TEXT.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Sloth
Content Scripter

#6 Post by Sloth »

I've made a new pull request from a clean fork (no merge commits). It uses a macro called NO_STACK_SUPPLY_CONNECTION_TEXT which is placed in a new section above the species macros.

I've closed the old pull request.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

Merged in, thanks. Now I have to think of another really easy task to get new people started ;-)

(seriously, it was on my list of dull-but-important things to do for ages, but I got sidetracked by getting sitreps to work right, and the Nebula one's proven to be, um, interesting, still, final testing today)
Mat Bowles