Balance concern: Nebulas and Phototrophes

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Sloth
Content Scripter

Re: Balance concern: Nebulas and Phototrophes

#16 Post by Sloth »

To finish this we still need to decide the distribution of stars. We have two types of nebulae, the fast shrinking FLD_NEBULA_1 that currently produce blue stars and the slow shrinking FLD_NEBULA_2 that currently produce white stars. I want to keep the two types distinct.

My suggestion:

FLD_NEBULA_1 produces OneOf(Blue, Blue, White, Yellow)
FLD_NEBULA_2 produces OneOf(White, Yellow, Orange, Red)

But i'm open to any suggestions.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#17 Post by MatGB »

Blue stars are more valuable, both to Energy hulls and phototrophes, so they should be in the slower nebula I think, beyond that makes sense.

Suggestion: change the art to Nebula12 and Nebula14, they work quite well and I think are, well, prettier.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#18 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:Blue stars are more valuable, both to Energy hulls and phototrophes, so they should be in the slower nebula I think, beyond that makes sense.
Ok, i will switch them.
MatGB wrote:Suggestion: change the art to Nebula12 and Nebula14, they work quite well and I think are, well, prettier.
Nebula12 is ok, but Nebula14 looks too flashy imho (like an explosion). I think we better use Nebula14 as a field that needs more attention from the players (something rare with a big effect).

For reference: One Nebula14 on the left and two Nebula12 on the right.
nebulae.png
nebulae.png (69.48 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
EDIT: Worlds on Fire
OnFire.png
OnFire.png (100.95 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#19 Post by MatGB »

See, I really like that one, they slowly collapse over time with the circle getting smaller, I think it looks cool. However, it's a purely subjective aesthetic and if you think not then it's probably best to be more neutral.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#20 Post by AndrewW »

I like the look of nebula14 there, but agree it's a bit much on there for general purposes.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#21 Post by Sloth »

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#22 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The orange nebula looks like it's expanding, not contracting.

The purple nebula's perimeter seems to irregular, making it too difficult to tell where the edge is.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#23 Post by Sloth »

Geoff the Medio wrote:The orange nebula looks like it's expanding, not contracting.
Yes. I didn't include it because i had similar concerns.
Geoff the Medio wrote:The purple nebula's perimeter seems to irregular, making it too difficult to tell where the edge is.
The collapsing nebulae currently have no effect other than showing that something will happen in the future, so it's no really necessary to be able to tell where the edge is.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#24 Post by MatGB »

Yup, better to use the irregular ones for this so that the 'round' ones can be used for clouds and moving effects
Mat Bowles