FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:05 am 
Creative Contributor

Sloth wrote:
It's currently implemented like Reinforced Hull. Asteroid hulls immediately get the bonus for max structure, but need to be "repaired" to actually get the bonus to current structure. Depending on the techs available this means visiting a drydock or be in supply range.

Remember Basic Damage Control doesn't require you be in Supply (or even be stationary), merely that you're not in combat this turn, so 5 turns after getting the special it'll apply to virtually all your ships.

I don't have a balance concern with that at all (like you say, Reinforced Hull does the same), but the 'fluff' doesn't quite reflect the implementation.

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:05 am 
Programmer

Deepsloth wrote:
Feel free to come up with something better. I won't mind scrapping the worm story.

Pulling the discussion back to here as I don't have a solid solution to the description.

I've not been able to imagine a scenario where an object at a planet maintains an effect on a ship without a supply line.
At least not when the effect disappears without control of the planet.

So some additional alternatives:
Go nuts with trans-dimensional in the description, with the worms only working for the current caretakers.
Change the description and logic to granting an un-researchable tech, keeping a similarity to Reinforced Hulls.
Require a supply line with only slight changes to the description/theme.

This seems like such a minor issue for a fun concept. Personally, I wouldn't mind if this started to stray into comic relief.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:28 pm 
Content Scripter

dbenage-cx wrote:
So some additional alternatives:
Go nuts with trans-dimensional in the description, with the worms only working for the current caretakers.
Change the description and logic to granting an un-researchable tech, keeping a similarity to Reinforced Hulls.
Require a supply line with only slight changes to the description/theme.

This seems like such a minor issue for a fun concept. Personally, I wouldn't mind if this started to stray into comic relief.

Because i really like the mechanic as currently scripted (Conquering the Asteroids can immediately swing the tides of war), i will have a try at option one: Go nuts with transdimensional worms.

Quote:
An outpost or colony on these asteroids will grand a structure bonus of +10% to all ships with Asteroid hulls in the empire.

These asteroids are infected by transdimensional worms that eat tunnels through rock, leaving behind a sticky slime that seems to automatically spread over the whole surface of the affected asteroid and prevents it from breaking appart. The worms do not tolerate to be brought away from this Asteroid field in whole, but due to their transdimensional nature it is possible to just take their heads to any asteroid in the empire to gladly eat away at their new meal, while they manage to stay connected with their lower bodies by dimensional tunneling. Applied to ships build with asteroid hulls, the slime produced by a worm head will naturally increase their durability, while the damage done by feeding the heads can easily be repaired.

Hoping for a realism debate now... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:18 am 
Programmer

re: description comments

Just a suggestion, replacing the sentence `While scientists ...`:
`While this slime does not last long, these worms will frequently visit the affected ships, replenishing any lost slime before returning to their home. Unable to catch a living specimen, scientists theorize their mode of transport appears linked to our communications in some manner.`