Concentration camps

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Concentration camps

#1 Post by defaultuser »

I have been playing Eaxaw lately. Being xenophobic, they get the free Concentration Camps tech. I had colonized a few tundra worlds with the base species, then took a Kobuntura world. I was a little surprised to find that I could put my own "peeps" in the camps to clear the way for a foreign species.

Should it work that way? Maybe in "game logic" you could rationalize it that their time on non-Terran world made them too different. I don't know.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Concentration camps

#2 Post by MatGB »

Well, my ancestors invented them to use on other humans, and then the Nazis used them even more extensively on massive numbers of humans, so given we haven't even left this tiny little rock properly yet…

I do worry about the balance of the camps and the ability to use them briefly for a massive bonus and destroy them, I'm wondering if, alongside the 'liberation' approach giving a happiness bonus they should only be buildable, not destroyable, once you put them in place they're there until the population is dead.

I also think the way xenophobia works is both too complicated and annoying, I want to play with the numbers next cycle, pssibly a flat X penalty per world effect instead of the current weird formula.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

pheldens
Pupating Mass

#3 Post by pheldens »

Concentration camps were used the world over.

Atarlost
Space Floater

#4 Post by Atarlost »

MatGB wrote:Well, my ancestors invented them to use on other humans, and then the Nazis used them even more extensively on massive numbers of humans, so given we haven't even left this tiny little rock properly yet…

I do worry about the balance of the camps and the ability to use them briefly for a massive bonus and destroy them, I'm wondering if, alongside the 'liberation' approach giving a happiness bonus they should only be buildable, not destroyable, once you put them in place they're there until the population is dead.

I also think the way xenophobia works is both too complicated and annoying, I want to play with the numbers next cycle, pssibly a flat X penalty per world effect instead of the current weird formula.
Do they need the massive bonus? It seems their intended use is to remove xenophobia penalties and get rid of races strictly inferior to others in your empire (I'm looking at you, Silexian). The production bonus I suppose needs to offset the production loss from starting a colony over from zero population, but it shouldn't be a net benefit on its own.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

They need a bonus, to an extent the xenophobic malus is as strong as it is, especially for Trith, because it assumes you'll be using camps to wipe out the Others: if all you wanted was to elminate the population Evacuation does the job, camps are a slave labour setup. Whether that bonus is set at the right level is a different question, of course.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#6 Post by defaultuser »

You can use the CCs to your advantage without even killing off planets. It works best with high-population species, so when they're up pretty high you build a camp, collect the additional production for a while, then when the population drops by half or so scrap the camp. The planet will suffer the aftermath for a time, but eventually will recover.