Howto cheat/give myself unfair advantages to fight unfairAI?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

spaceshep
Space Krill

Howto cheat/give myself unfair advantages to fight unfairAI?

#1 Post by spaceshep »

I really love this game and feel that it could be so much more fun than it is. I find many things about it just rage inducing and basically I feel that the game is unplayable right now.

I understand that other try hards who are natural born expert geniuses want the maniacal AI to be even more difficult (or are just trolling) and don't seem to have any issues with the game, so don't worry, I know not everyone agrees with me.

I also understand that others may have made this topic before, but I honestly can not find those threads. I have searched and searched until I got a headache but I can only find threads people asking about how to save edit (and finding out basically 0 answers as to how to successfully do it) and people complaining that the AI cheats, and I agree with those people alot.

I'm currently playing the latest version which I believe is 4.5 right now.

is there a way to edit save files? I saved without the binary serialization so that it was more easy to read by a text file so that I could edit it, but each time I changed anything at all the game refused to read my save file and told me there was an error, or created a huge amount of lag and then started up the game without any of my changes as if it had autocorrected.

tried changing the number of ships in a stack of ships I already made so that I could have 99 ships or even just 9 or 20 or any number I tried, I tried editing the resources and the progress I needed to finish a stack of ships that were being built and I tried giving myself a huge amount of resources per turn and no matter what I tried I just got errors. once I even got an error and then the game refused to start up until I restarted my computer. all this from a simple save game file edit, totally insane.

does anyone know how to properly edit the save file so that It doesn't give any problems and just lets me have infinite resources and build lists that finish in one turn?

are there any cheat codes? I'm just sick of the game being as frustrating as it is and I want to have fun. I'm sick of the AI and I want to enjoy the game already.

is there any way to cheat? has anyone cheated before that knows how to do it so they can help me?

does anyone know how I can create a custom overpowered species? I don't want to give myself unfair combat bonuses because then the game wont be fun because I will just steam roll the AI without any actual fight. I just want to give myself huge science and industry and population and planet (like all planets very good) and all the other good bonuses.

does anyone know how I can make it so that only I can select that custom species so that the AI can not choose it in the game?

does anyone know how to use moderator mode unfairly against the AI?

I heard I can make a multiplayer game and be the moderator, but what advantages does this give? can I give myself infinite resources? how can I access this but play singleplayer? I'm afraid other people might try to join my game if multiplayer is the only way to access moderator mode or something, and ruin my game, because I want to cheat in a singleplayer freeorion game instead of never enjoying it because of the cheating AI. is there a way to make a private multiplayer game so that it is essentially singleplayer with AI?

does anyone know the correct areas of the save file to edit so that there are no errors and I have infinite resources?

(my post from my feedback thread, so you understand how I feel)

I'm going to explain all the problems I have as a new player.

beginner baby poopypants AI completely whoops my butt and then laughs at me going "na na na na you can't play the game at all na na na have fun never enjoying this cool game" and I'm just steaming with hot steamy rage steaming out of my steamy hot ears and I'm just :x :oops: :( rage crying at how smug the cheating evil AI is. butthurt rating: Severe. I have been trolled. :(

and I am this many mads: :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

every single turn one or more random colony is destroyed for no reason. It just says "colony destroyed (this planet)". I'm constantly re-adding robot or meatbag colonies to the build list every single turn. the hilariously anger problem causing issue with this is that I can't build ships seperately from buildings and I'm never able to build enough ships because I'm always rebuilding colonies over and over again even late into this one game where the AI didn't consider me a big enough threat and kind of just left me alone for a while. (rare exception) and then came after me and killed me and I couldn't do a single thing about it.

I'm also experiencing extreme lag in a game with 8 beginner AI and 200 planets. just 100 turns in that game I'm dying of lag because every "turn" takes 10 minutes to complete, and then I'm unable to save because "some AI is still doing something and taking their turn" even though its in the middle of MY TURN.

I really like that science is seperate from building, but I'm absolutely shocked that I can't build ships seperately from buildings, as I'm never able to get any sort of solid position or advantage that allows me to defend myself.

I can't build enough ships to defend myself because they all take way too long to make.

I honestly couldn't see myself surviving very far into the game if I never have a free build list since my colonies mysteriously become destroyed with no explanation at all and everything I try to build just clogs up the build list for many turns, and many turns later the build list is even more clogged because everything broke again. It just doesn't stop and It makes me steam with frustration.

all the AI seem to magically just produce huge amounts of powerful and highly upgraded ships and advance their empire and spread to many many planets and fight wars with each other like it's no big deal while they attack me to death as if they don't even mind that another AI is whooping their butts, they can still rush me as I defend and they just wipe out all my ships.

as of right now I rage-deleted the game because I'm so upset.

this is basically my feedback from the other thread, I wanted to give solid honest game feedback.
if you think you know reality, you are wrong. Look up the Mandela effect.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

Re: Howto cheat/give myself unfair advantages to fight unfai

#2 Post by Bromstarzan »

If the answers provided already isn't enough for you to find your "sweet spot", I'm afraid you're stuck (please, fill me in here if others see how spaceshep can move on).

How did you find using the super-tester-takeover building in the test-build versions? Was it still not what you were looking for in terms of cheats?

Game-feature-idea: Perhaps we could all join in the task to provide various save-games at around turn 200-300, where the player has a very good/favourable starting point in terms of pushing out and taking over the galaxy. It could be categorized into player species control, number and type of AIs, level of AI and galaxy type of course etc. etc.. A small text describing the situation (history) and how the player could "continue" to "mopping up" the galaxy.

You have expressed your gratitude towards FO, so I guess other titles are less relevant. However, if you havn't played Spacecom from 11 Bit Studios, I can recommend it. It's more or less point and shoot, short (45 min) sessions without a save function.

cheers,
Broms
Last edited by Bromstarzan on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

spaceshep
Space Krill

#3 Post by spaceshep »

Bromstarzan wrote:If the answers provided already isn't enough for you to find your "sweet spot", I'm afraid you're stuck (please, fill me in here if others see how spaceshep can move on).

How did you find using the super-tester-takeover building in the test-build versions? Was it still not what you were looking for in terms of cheats?

You have expressed your gratitude towards FO, so I guess other titles are less relevant. However, if you havn't played Spacecom from 11 Bit Studios, I can recommend it. It's more or less point and shoot, short (45 min) sessions without a save function.

cheers,
Broms

:| I am become stereotype, destroyer of forums

thank you for your honesty Broms. Please tell me what the super tester takeover building does? If it's an instant win button that's no fun for me. does it require compiling? the guide doesn't explain how to do it, just links around in circles..
if you think you know reality, you are wrong. Look up the Mandela effect.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by Bromstarzan »

Destroyer of forums rather than destroyer of FO AI! :lol:
Hehe, seriously, no worries, we all take good care of the players here and want everybody to have a good experience with FO. You are no exception and your feedback is valuable in every aspect.

How do you find my game feature suggestion that I edited into my post above?
Would that be an attractive alternative?
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Spaceshep, I can't refrain from emphasizing this more, the AI does not cheat in any way, however, it is inherently progressed through the learning curve that a newcomer such as yourself has to slog your way through, and I suppose that could make it feel sometimes like it is cheating, since it knows how to do things that the player didn't yet know how to do. I hope that you powered through the learning curve here and are still around. If so, please post again letting us know how things are going for you now with the game.

My recollection is that the beginner AI should not be invading any of your planets, but I suppose that they might still wind up moving attack ships into your system as a defensive move, and that could make for a nearly insurmountable problem once it starts.

The beginner AI does have some restrictions on how much tech it will research and how much it will build up its empire, but that was somewhat limited to fit into a sort of storyline about how a society could choose to limit itself in that fashion. We do periodically get comments like yours here and it very well could be that we should really much more strongly hamstring the beginner AI.

What do some of the other experienced players and devs here think? Any objection to really severely hamstringing the Beginner AI?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#6 Post by defaultuser »

The OP was from a few months back, so it's not clear if SpaceShep is still reading/trying. My opinion is that troubles in the early games were just more to do with my lack of knowledge/experience. Let's face it, getting your butt kicked by the "Beginner" AIs is a learning experience. And motivation to improve.

I disagree about not finding forum threads that help. The main thing I found useful was finding the ones on setting up Research.

biza
Space Squid

#7 Post by biza »

well, this is not first post im reading people having problem about colonies getting "randomly" destroyed. There should be more clear to player if trying to colonise planets with negative growth? Maybe some kind of popup window "This planet is inhabitable by xxxxx species, your colony will be destroyed in xx turns!"

Cheers!!

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#8 Post by defaultuser »

Having bad things happen is part of learning. I would think that a large percentage of new players start out colonizing an inappropriate world early on. I know I did. I also had the experience of conquered colonies dying out because the AI's Growth tech was higher than mine.

I am sure background/experience makes a difference in complicated games like this. As an engineer, when things happen that I don't understand I generally want to find out why, and quickly. So I research and experiment.