Help with advanced tech/unlock...?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

NeerDon
Space Krill

Help with advanced tech/unlock...?

#1 Post by NeerDon »

I've been playing for about a week. My first question is... is there a more advanced manual than the quick start guide? Whenever I try to search for something FreeOrion... I find a forum post where my search term is mentioned, but I can't find the "how to".

- When I am in ship design, I click on parts that are "not available"... but how do I find out how to make them available? That Precursor Armor looks awesome... how do I get it?

I am doing a cheap/fast tech play just to get a feel for the upper technologies And I have the entire tech tree available... but still can't seem to access quite a few things:

- I have an Industrial Center built... but the "Greater Industrial Center" and "Supreme Industrial Center" mentioned in the pedia have note become available, and are not listed even in the "unavailable" tab in the production window - where are they?

- I sent a couple of bombers with the chaos wave to a planet... but when I hit the "bombard" button... it makes a click noise... but it doesn't "engage" and nothing happens when I advance the turn.

- There are a buildings in the production list under the unavailable tab that just say "(Failed) building unlocked for empire" - how do I find out how to unlock it?

If there is a better way to find the answers to the above... I feel most of my other questions will also be answered. Thanks! =D

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Help with advanced tech/unlock...?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

NeerDon wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:54 pm- When I am in ship design, I click on parts that are "not available"... but how do I find out how to make them available? That Precursor Armor looks awesome... how do I get it?
Generally stuff is unlocked by researching techs. Sometimes ancient ruins can grant access to a ship part. Other stuff, including as far as I can tell the Precusor Armor, can't be produced by players.
- I have an Industrial Center built... but the "Greater Industrial Center" and "Supreme Industrial Center" mentioned in the pedia have note become available, and are not listed even in the "unavailable" tab in the production window - where are they?
You don't have to separately produce greater and supreme industrial centres; these are upgrades to the Industrial Center that increase its effectiveness when researched. This is explained reasonably well in the in-game pedia article for Industrial Center:
Initially provides a bonus to Target Industry on all Supply line connected planets with Industry focus by 0.2 per Population.
More than one in the same Supply connected Resource Group do not stack and add no extra bonus.

Greater Industrial Center refinement doubles the bonus.

Supreme Industrial Center refinement further increases the bonus to triple the base bonus.
Key word there is "refinement" which indicates that it's not a separate thing to produce, but enhances the existing thing.
- I sent a couple of bombers with the chaos wave to a planet... but when I hit the "bombard" button... it makes a click noise... but it doesn't "engage" and nothing happens when I advance the turn.
The bombardment system is generally poorly implemented at present. This might be a bug.
- There are a buildings in the production list under the unavailable tab that just say "(Failed) building unlocked for empire" - how do I find out how to unlock it?
Same as for ship parts, you probably need to research a tech. Usually the pedia entry for a building type will indicate what unlocks it. For example, the Energy Compressor building has, at the bottom of its article:
Unlocked By Techs:

Force-Energy Compression
And "Force-Energy Compression" is a clickable link to that tech's article.

NeerDon
Space Krill

#3 Post by NeerDon »

Aha! - "Refinement" - Thanks! that clears up a lot! :D

Got it on Bombardment... will fiddle with it - there's always invasion. :?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

NeerDon wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:01 pmGot it on Bombardment... will fiddle with it - there's always invasion. :?
I'm hoping someone with more recent direct experience failing to use it will comment. There was a post in the last day or two complaining about it (in a list of other complaints), as well.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:09 pm I'm hoping someone with more recent direct experience failing to use it will comment. There was a post in the last day or two complaining about it (in a list of other complaints), as well.
There is an old issue with it UI: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/672

NeerDon
Space Krill

#6 Post by NeerDon »

Oberlus wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:39 pm
Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:09 pm I'm hoping someone with more recent direct experience failing to use it will comment. There was a post in the last day or two complaining about it (in a list of other complaints), as well.
There is an old issue with it UI: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/672
I tried what it says here ^ a few different ways... couldn't get it to work. Just "click-click-click" on bombardment... do something else... check back... again... advance turn a few times... different combinations - nothing happens. (Using Chaos Wave equipped bombers on native Ugmors.. zero planetary shields). :?

Back to Troopers! :D

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#7 Post by defaultuser »

Bombardment is, in my opinion, a tool that probably shouldn't be employed often, especially by new players. Very seldom would I suggest it against native species. Yes, you reduce the population and eventually defense forces, but I generally think you're better off trying to capture natives with full population.

NeerDon
Space Krill

#8 Post by NeerDon »

defaultuser wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:00 pm Bombardment is, in my opinion, a tool that probably shouldn't be employed often, especially by new players. Very seldom would I suggest it against native species. Yes, you reduce the population and eventually defense forces, but I generally think you're better off trying to capture natives with full population.
Yes, with natives, I prefer to capture. However, with entrenched and established enemies, bombardment would be preferable to more efficiently subdue them (cut them down to size).

However, as it stands, (version 0.4.9) I have found no combination of "tricks and clicks" to get bombardment to work at all.