Navigating Github?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

labgnome
Juggernaut

Navigating Github?

#1 Post by labgnome »

Am I the only one that finds github confusing?

So far I've wanted to take a look at the things people are trying and maybe do some contribution there myself. However, I find the site difficult to navigate and being a non-coder often am not sure what I am even looking at when I do manage to find something.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Navigating Github?

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

Hm. I find github ok. But what exactly are you looking for?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

labgnome wrote:...being a non-coder often am not sure what I am even looking at...
Much of the github interface is intended for managing code patches, so that might be part of your problem...

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

For ongoing stuff, Pull requestsis what you want to look at, each has a title and will contain a series of commits.

For testing purposes unless you're compiling, you want to make sure it's only changing .txt and .py files, if it's changing a backend code file (.cpp) then you need to compile. Some of the older PRs won't work with the current codebase.

You will need a copy of Git and be able to download stuff for the easiest experience, the Git learning curve is STEEP but I've found it worth it (I'm also not a coder but have learnt to script fairly well).

If you're able to compile, which I've also found worth it, then you can test every single PR if you like, some are relatively pointless for general testing, I tend to stick to testing stuff either based on things I've asked for or that affect gameplay balance in some way.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#5 Post by labgnome »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Much of the github interface is intended for managing code patches, so that might be part of your problem...
I'm pretty sure that's a big part of my problem. I actually talked with a friend of mine who is a coder about it. For reference: I was going to get mathematics as a second major, but the university I was at had a programing requirement that I couldn't get waived and I couldn't pass even the most basic courses offered.
MatGB wrote:For testing purposes unless you're compiling, you want to make sure it's only changing .txt and .py files, if it's changing a backend code file (.cpp) then you need to compile. Some of the older PRs won't work with the current codebase.
Probably so. I was going to check out the possible influence mechanic for one.
MatGB wrote:You will need a copy of Git and be able to download stuff for the easiest experience, the Git learning curve is STEEP but I've found it worth it (I'm also not a coder but have learnt to script fairly well).
Yeah, it is. This is my second attempt at it.
MatGB wrote:If you're able to compile, which I've also found worth it, then you can test every single PR if you like, some are relatively pointless for general testing, I tend to stick to testing stuff either based on things I've asked for or that affect gameplay balance in some way.
... and how do I compile, without breaking anything? I think the last time I tried to compile FO I wound up giving up and reinstalling :(
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

labgnome wrote:how do I compile, without breaking anything? I think the last time I tried to compile FO I wound up giving up and reinstalling :(
Depends on your platform, instructions can be found here.