Does the AI cheat?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

FreakNigh
Space Floater

Does the AI cheat?

#1 Post by FreakNigh »

The last game I played I had more planets, research and production the whole time but when I met the AI they clearly had multiple 1K + techs and I was still spending a long time to research 300 / 500 techs. Does the AI cheat?

The Silent One
Graphics

Re: Does the AI cheat?

#2 Post by The Silent One »

No, but I think the AI team will love to hear you would think so :)

Could it be that the AI did in fact have more PP/RP than you? That may be the case if you looked at the empire window for the PP/RP information. It only shows the RP/PP you know about.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Yeah, the Empires window only shows you what you can see, the graphs give you everything, as you can't see most of an empire until you've scouted it out it won't be accurate.

And no, the AI deliberately doesn't cheat, it's a design objective to avoid that sort of thing, the AI is, however,s cripted to make closer to optimal choices to get good outputs early from various techs and knows, for example, what order to research the early to mid stage growth techs, this can make a bigger difference than some realise.

Look at the actual graphs to see how things have gone, alternatively make sure that the high end techs haven't been unlocked by ancient ruins or similar.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

mwobuddy
Space Floater

#4 Post by mwobuddy »

I felt as though it was probably less cheating and more having some basic tech already unlocked. Keep getting swamped by Cerberus 3's or 4's within 100 turns.

How many turns is a game supposed to go in general? Im at 237 and its starting to bog down heavily.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

mwobuddy wrote:I felt as though it was probably less cheating and more having some basic tech already unlocked. Keep getting swamped by Cerberus 3's or 4's within 100 turns.
100 turns is pretty far in. You should be up there in ship tech as well. It depends a lot on your research plan.
mwobuddy wrote:How many turns is a game supposed to go in general? Im at 237 and its starting to bog down heavily.
That depends on many factors. Starting with the number of systems. I play 150, and most of my games wrap up by turn 220 or so. But a tough opponent can really drag it out.

What is your configuration?

mwobuddy
Space Floater

#6 Post by mwobuddy »

If you're referring to the game, I was going for titanic hull but I have to get those early research points into survival first so that I can go into the lategame without getting crushed early on by all those damn cerberuses.

Right now they're throwing large roid ships with 4 plasma cannons at me.

In order to get to those later ships you can't really sacrifice early on.

I rolled into a seed with large distances between them and only toxic or tundra/swamp planets to colonize, so that took some time to work up the skill trees to be able to inhabit them with humans.

What Im finding with the Ai is they tend to have practically every bonus available for the growth and PP and research by invading the planets like that.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#7 Post by defaultuser »

I meant number of systems, starlane density, galaxy shape, that sort of thing. That goes a long way to determining the length of game.

mwobuddy
Space Floater

#8 Post by mwobuddy »

Got it, I can check when I get back. It was pretty spaced out in my local zone. I'll throw a screenshot.