First turn build queue

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

On turn one, apart from scouts what are you most likely to queue

Troop Ship
No votes
Outpost ship/base
83%
Colony ship/base
17%

Total votes: 18

MatGB
Creative Contributor

First turn build queue

#1 Post by MatGB »

Reasons: we can now reorder the premade ship designs relatively easily so they appear in a sane order. But, without scrolling, it'll only display 2 of the three groups containing a likely early build. Choices...
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

EricF
Space Dragon

Re: First turn build queue

#2 Post by EricF »

Except for the first few games when I didn't really understand how colonies worked I never build Colony ship/bases. Only Outposts.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Which is how it should be. In the very early game if I'm playing a sparse map and a high industry/supply species, like Egassem or George, I sometimes still use ships so they can explore and find locations out of supply, but that's too risky in a standard setting, the AI'll grab it.

Basically with the order I'm testing I have to scroll to order scouts, which is definitely changing (can only change order before a game starts if I want to save it permanently), I'm this basically confirms that troop ships can go below scouts and outposts: there are sometimes when I'll queue troops not outposts at the start, but mostly on Egassem/dense population which is too situational.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

First turn is always outpost. I still build the occasional colony ship in early game. That will be when a good system is separated enough that it's worthwhile to get a base established there quickly without building out to it.

Like many tools, they have their place. That's why in RL I own different types of pliers.