Experimentators are a late-game win button

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Voker57
Space Kraken

Experimentators are a late-game win button

#1 Post by Voker57 »

Sure, the planet has 65k shields, but fires only three times per turn. with a lot of cannon fodder ships, victory over it is a matter of time with 2-3k fleet.

Tentative proposal: Bump Experiment Zero's HP to ~10000, give it like 10 death rays and 5 flak cannons?

Also, set effects nerfing fighters and spinal antimatter cannon on Zero, they are completely overlooked now.
Team S.M.A.C.: destroying dreams of multiplayer 4x since 2017.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Experimentators are a late-game win button

#2 Post by MatGB »

I'm working on some stuff re the experimentors at the moment but it's not working well, they're obviously too weak as an objective for a win condition, especially in multiplayer, and Zero really is pointless at the moment, it dies before it does anything every time.

I'm currently working on trying to get the Zero affect to apply to within 1 jump ships, which would definitely be more interesting and make it a challenge, but I couldn't get the timing of the effects right and took a break.

Bumping Zero up is obviously another option, and having the starlane removal affect apply after a Bore or a Nexus would make a fair bit of sense as well.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Voker57
Space Kraken

#3 Post by Voker57 »

MatGB wrote:and having the starlane removal affect apply after a Bore or a Nexus would make a fair bit of sense as well.
How would you access experimentors then?
Team S.M.A.C.: destroying dreams of multiplayer 4x since 2017.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Wait till the actual start turn, which is sort of meant to be the game end moment anyway. When the Bore was introduced it certainly wasn't meant to allow an early victory, and we never got around to fixing it.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

L29Ah
Space Squid

#5 Post by L29Ah »

It should be possible to disable the experimenter capture victory condition as it just doesn't scale with the size of the galaxy.
Team S.M.A.C.: play multiplayer with us!

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#6 Post by defaultuser »

Too much of this and people just ignore them unless they come out during game play.

EricF
Space Dragon

#7 Post by EricF »

Please enable the button to just turn them off. I get tired of editing the file to do this.
They are not a challenge. They are just flat out plain annoying.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#8 Post by defaultuser »

One of the problems with trying to up their level is that if you actually make them a serious challenge for experienced players, then the newer folk will be absolutely overwhelmed. Unless you want to make selectable levels there.

I've made a mental "deal" with the Experimenters. If they show up before I finish the AIs, I will take them on. But I'm not bothering with them otherwise, and I sure wouldn't wait around for them anymore. I've had games where they didn't open until turn 300 or more and with the 150 system games I play I'm done by 250 most of the time.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

It can be tied to any of the galaxy generation settings, so making them tougher for Maniacal and Aggressive would work as a stopgap, but yeah, for experienced players they're too easy, for new players they're too tough.
Mat Bowles

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#10 Post by Jaumito »

"Experimentors" who've lived since forever and are still stuck at Experiment *ZERO* deserve to die anyway... meanwhile, even puny humans have gone from single-blade razors to Gillette Fusion in the span of a few decades.