Old version - magically appearing snowflake

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Old version - magically appearing snowflake

#1 Post by defaultuser »

Still playing old version due to the issue for embedded graphics (I hadn't seen anything on that recently). As it's not the current version I didn't post in the Gameplay forum, especially as this might be something already noted and fixed. It's more curiosity on my part.

I had a tamed small snowflake that I moved to a system with a small planet so it could grow. After it was there several turns, a wild full snowflake appeared at that system. There was nothing in the sitrep about where it came from, no move or create message. I would have seen it if it were wandering around anyway. Could it have been a bug where the upgrade sequence for the tamed went sideways and a wild of that class was created?
sf.jpg
sf.jpg (97.85 KiB) Viewed 1363 times

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: Old version - magically appearing snowflake

#2 Post by defaultuser »

It happened again at the same system several turns later, different tamed small snowflakes there. I haven't seen it at any other systems.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

the most likely thing that comes to mind for me is if your detection is not high enough to see the wild small Snowflakes that are wandering around; once in a while one of the wild ones matures to a regular Snowflake at that system and then all of sudden you can see it. What was your empire detection strength at the last time this happened?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Dilvish wrote:the most likely thing that comes to mind for me is if your detection is not high enough to see the wild small Snowflakes that are wandering around; once in a while one of the wild ones matures to a regular Snowflake at that system and then all of sudden you can see it. What was your empire detection strength at the last time this happened?
Exactly my thought, small snowflakes are hidden, the larger snowflakes would've been but certain people thought it unfair that the game could start killing you unexpectedly that early (they had a point, really, but, y'know :twisted: ).

So if a small snowflake arrived that you couldn't see, it could mature and become visible, if there's a snowflake nest there there has to be a planet of the right size.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

Sorry, didn't get back to this. Yeah, probably, detection was low. It was fairly far from the nest, but a couple could have wandered over there by that point.