Acirema

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

EricF
Space Dragon

Acirema

#1 Post by EricF »

If the Acirema cannot leave their world then how can they build and pilot ships?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: Acirema

#2 Post by defaultuser »

EricF wrote:If the Acirema cannot leave their world then how can they build and pilot ships?
That's a decent question. They can't live long enough to colonize worlds, but their pilots don't die off after a similar time span. Maybe the ships provide energy for them or something.

I still can't figure out why certain species can't build ships. It's not the case that they can't pilot them. I asked about why some have a pilot rating, and it was explained that if a Dragon Tooth were uncovered on one of their worlds, then they'd be able to pilot it.

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#3 Post by Jaumito »

defaultuser wrote:I still can't figure out why certain species can't build ships. It's not the case that they can't pilot them.
I've seen videos of dogs, cats and other animals using skateboards, luges and other vehicles for fun, unaided, and sometimes with consummate skill. I doubt the thought of actually crafting these vehicles themselves ever occurred to them, though.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

Jaumito wrote:
defaultuser wrote:I still can't figure out why certain species can't build ships. It's not the case that they can't pilot them.
I've seen videos of dogs, cats and other animals using skateboards, luges and other vehicles for fun, unaided, and sometimes with consummate skill. I doubt the thought of actually crafting these vehicles themselves ever occurred to them, though.
But these aren't animals. They can do research and build other things.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

There are two answers we can give.

1) The Experimentors are weird and set things up this way

2) Handwavium, it's a game balance thing and possibly we should rewrite some of the story text to better reflect the actual in game abilities.

I always prefer answer 1, but 2 is always equally valid. Sometimes, of course, the answer is 3) one of us messed up and the text is out of date ;-)

I'm coming to the conclusion that Dragon Tooth, etc should either be always uncrewed or only findable in a Ruins with a species that can build ships: the latter is a problem script wise as the colony building mechanic means you normally unlock a ruin before population arrives, we could change it that you need population there I guess: that would also add the feature that just grabbing the planet with an outpost doesn't get it, you've got to defend it until the archaeologists have had time to do their thing which might be interesting, something that prompts a fight over a specific system between players might be fun.

Part of me wouldn't mind adding a few different Dragon Tooth designs and having them be a bit more common.

On the specific topic: the Acirema are a really cool shipbuilding native species and I like them mechanically, plan to do a bit of extra work with the 'good shields' idea at some point as well. Ergo, we need to change the story text a bit, suggestions?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

EricF
Space Dragon

#6 Post by EricF »

I wasn't really complaining. It actually helped me out a lot,
because I was playing Gysache who are bad pilots.
It just seemed a little weird is all. :)
What is even weirder is, again because of Gysache, I was using
them to build troop ships to conquer planets. Strange for a
species that can't leave their planet. So, yea some modification
to their description seems to be needed.
Sorry for giving you guys more work to do. :oops:

I would suggest just getting rid of the whole can't leave their
planet thing and just keep the energy being thing.