AI possible solution

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

godel
Space Dragon

AI possible solution

#1 Post by godel »

One blunder the AIs almost always make is to not pounce on easy prey.
AI has a stack of ships, and I come in next to it with half or less of that force, taking a colony world or some of their ships.
I am a great risk of losing every one of my ships if the AI would attack. They don't, and I get away with tactical murder.

If the force is half or less,
And there are no competing forces ready to take the planet the overwhelming force is protecting,
And if there is no larger force ready to protect/avenge (within range) the lesser force,
then attack the lessor force if in one turns length of journey.

This would make a very much more aggressive AI.
(right now almost everyone has the AI on max aggressive and not getting much aggression)

One i have seen, maybe once, is a small force next to a larger force. I can take the small, but be taken by the large. This is bait/trap. It would be good to do this more often, for a smarter AI, but only if the above change can be made.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: AI possible solution

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Yes, that is a key kind of tactic, which I think Morlic has mentioned possibly looking at doing for in-transit AI fleets that encounter smaller enemies, and which I've looked at in the past for the defensive making a temporary offensive hop like you describe. Having a fleet make a little sidestep pounce while in-transit somewhere is the more straightforward of the two to implement with our current mission/order scheme, I think. Hmm, although while writing this now I've just thought of another approach to explore for the defense-making-an-offensive-hop.

Right now, a defensive force probably has to build up to something just over 3x forces before it would use some of the forces for offense, or at least would if things were really fully working correctly. I am *pretty_sure* that there is a bug which is causing excess ships to be stuck in "Secure-the-System" mode and not letting them get released and reallocated properly when the task is reasonably done. I had been looking at that a bit over the summer, but don't think I got it fully resolved before getting pulled in other directions. That's one of the things I'm hoping to hoping to resolve in time for 0.4.8.

Overall, we will certainly be trying to amp up the AI pressure a bit more in time for 0.4.8, at least.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

godel
Space Dragon

Re: AI possible solution

#3 Post by godel »

Thanks!