Do we have a discord?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Hyperant
Space Kraken

Do we have a discord?

#1 Post by Hyperant »

Because everyone uses discord nowadays lol.

If not, i can offer to set up a discord channel, only if there is demand of course.
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Do we have a discord?

#2 Post by MatGB »

Everyone?

I have no idea what it is.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#3 Post by alleryn »

MatGB wrote:Everyone?

I have no idea what it is.
what discord is? a voice chat thingie; or what 'Everyone' is?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:I have no idea what it is.
Discord is akin to Skype, Mumble, Teamspeak, with support for text and/or voice chat via your browser (and perhaps with additional features via specialized app, I forget). One of the nicer aspects of it that I don't recall with other similar apps is that you can set up channels to support both voice and text, so folks without mics (or who just need to keep theirs quiet at the moment, or whose written command of the given language is much better than their ability to speak it) can still participate in a discussion with folks who are primarily using voice.
Hyperant wrote:Because everyone uses discord nowadays lol.
Ah, for what purposes are you thinking? For just about all of our discussion here on these boards we want a level of long term access and organization that I don't really see it providing. It seems great for social chatting and short-term impromptu planning as is common with many multiplayer games, and it does seem likely to be pretty handy for someone to set up a Discord channel to go along with o01eg's public FO server.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Hyperant »

Ah pardon my rather narrow mindedness to believe that everyone knew about discord.

Anyways you do have a good point in that it would really just be suitable for like multiplayer stuff and what not.
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#6 Post by dbenage-cx »

As it is related, I recently tried setting up a gitter channel (similar to irc, with chat history and integrations).
I did not spend much effort on setup due to low chat traffic on irc (probably partly due to lack of chat history unless a bouncer is setup).
Last edited by dbenage-cx on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#7 Post by alleryn »

If you want to set up a voice chat for freeorion, somehow i feel like ventrilo would be most appropriate, just my thought.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

I agree with Dilvish, these kind of communication channels don't make much sense for dev work, but more for players who want to coordinate multiplayer games etc.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#9 Post by AndrewW »

There's already a #freeorion IRC channel on Freenode that isn't used a whole lot now.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#10 Post by defaultuser »

Is there enough demand for this? I mean, the various participants are scattered about the globe, and there aren't really all that many, so meeting up for voice seems like it would happen relatively infrequently. For written, the forums seem the most logical.

Skasi
Space Krill

#11 Post by Skasi »

Why isn't this a thiiiing? I think it's great for people who'd like to ask gameplay related questions in a more "alive" environment than, say, a forum would provide. It's nice to share information, for communities to grow (inviting people from other servers is quite simple), for players to stick to a game and to keep them interested even when they're not currently playing it. Think of it as a more modern and more accessible IRC for gamers with built in voice chat, easily searchable chat history, multiple channels, picture sharing, in-chat link previews and some other neat things. Finally, I don't wanna hype it up too much because like most other software it can be yuck at time for multiple reasons.

L29Ah
Space Squid

#12 Post by L29Ah »

I don't like the idea of an open source game having an official chat room in a completely centralized and proprietary messaging app. Regarding logs, voice chatting and other fashionable features, those are already addressed by teamsmac by using xmpp and mumble.
Team S.M.A.C.: play multiplayer with us!