Linux compiled astonisingly faster than Windows binaries

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Linux compiled astonisingly faster than Windows binaries

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Recently I got my laptop upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 and could compile FO. Laptop's CPU is slower than the desktop's, but FO application load, next turn and save/load game are around 10x faster in the laptop. Sweet. I know compiling in your system allows for extra optimisations of the code, but that's crazy.
Would I get a similar performance in Windows if I'd compile from source code?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Linux compiled astonisingly faster than Windows binaries

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote:Recently I got my laptop upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 and could compile FO. Laptop's CPU is slower than the desktop's, but FO application load, next turn and save/load game are around 10x faster in the laptop.
I am not sure I understand. Do you compare self-compiled vs the binaries from the ubuntu-repositories on the same machine?
Sweet. I know compiling in your system allows for extra optimisations of the code, but that's crazy.
Would I get a similar performance in Windows if I'd compile from source code?
Dont think so. Maybe my setup is bonked but on my windows machine the self-compiled feels slower than the downloaded binaries.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote:
Oberlus wrote:Recently I got my laptop upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 and could compile FO. Laptop's CPU is slower than the desktop's, but FO application load, next turn and save/load game are around 10x faster in the laptop.
I am not sure I understand. Do you compare self-compiled vs the binaries from the ubuntu-repositories on the same machine?
I skipped some important information: my desktop runs Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 (so I couldn't play FO in that linux and I always played in the Windows 7 machine, until now).
So I was comparing laptop with Linux and compiled FO vs desktop with Windows 7 and Vezzra's binaries. Now I saw my laptop has 8 cores while my desktop has 4, but desktop's are faster. Might it be that the extra cores speed up FO next turn process?
Maybe my setup is bonked but on my windows machine the self-compiled feels slower than the downloaded binaries.
Wow, that's sad. Then I won't put any effort on having a working compiling station on my Windows.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote:Might it be that the extra cores speed up FO next turn process?
If a game includes AIs or has multiple thread for effects processing enabled, yes.