How do i restore the default settings for everything?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Phizoshren
Space Krill

How do i restore the default settings for everything?

#1 Post by Phizoshren »

I have a little problem,

namely that some windows inside the ship designer turned very small and i cannot enlarge them again.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: How do i restore the default settings for everything?

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Hmm, it does seem like it would be good for us to have a button somewhere in Options to do that, but I can't find one. You could edit your Config.xml (follow the link to get instructions on its location) to remove the problem settings, or just delete the file entirely and a new one with all default settings will be created next time you run FreeOrion.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

I would greatly benefit from this suggestion of a button to restore windows dimensions to a default.
I do like to play in fullscreen mode because I want as much screen space as possible (only got one), and also because for some unknown reasons the windowed mode flickers (in Linux, not really annoying). But sometimes I have to switch to windowed mode, because I need to take a screenshot (in Windows I can't do that on fullscreen) or because I'm checking things on the Internet as well as on the game (Pedia, or whatever). And the annoying thing is that getting into windowed mode resizes and rearranges your windows but getting back into fullscreen does not undo this, so I end up having to rearrange and resize all the windows once again.

Also, IIRC, there was another suggestion/request to make the config file (or at least the part of it that determines the size, position and state of each window) preserved upon installation of a new (Test) FO version.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Oberlus wrote:Also, IIRC, there was another suggestion/request to make the config file (or at least the part of it that determines the size, position and state of each window) preserved upon installation of a new (Test) FO version.
Are you thinking of persistent_config.xml? That can indeed do the trick, but you have to choose a point at which to have it be saved, and then trigger that by going to Options->Other->Write_Persistent_Config_File
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There is also an "Automatically reposition windows" option in the UI tab.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Thank you both, those are really helpful.