Do flak cannons get any upgrade from weapon techs?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Do flak cannons get any upgrade from weapon techs?

#1 Post by Oberlus »

I was thinking on a implementation for a rudimentary, standalone combat simulator (to be able to discuss some rock-paper-scissors stuff with Jaumito) and stumbled on this question.
I thought flak cannons start with 3 shots (modified by pilots species trait) and get +1 from each tech upgrade (up to 6 shots plus species trait), but then I realised I didn't know what techs granted the upgrade, either the mass driver refinements (SHP_WEAPON_1_[2-4].focs.txt) or the unlocking tech of the other weapon types (SHP_WEAPON_[2-4]_1.focs.txt). So I tried to figure it out checking the focs files for weapon parts and techs, and their descriptions in the stringtables, but I couldn't see if or how are flak cannons upgraded.

Which improvement (if any) do flak cannons get from what techs?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Do flak cannons get any upgrade from weapon techs?

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Another question related to flak cannons:
Since I've seen in the combat reports that a ship can end up with big negative HP numbers after a combat round, I assume that on each round each weapon chooses a target independently, so that many guns can aim at the same target even if that target needs only one shot to die in this round. Therefore, I also assume that two different flak cannons can choose the same target. However, flak cannons are the only weapons that have more than one shot per combat round.

Can a flak cannon choose more than once the same target in the same combat round?
I'm thinking of objectives with 1 HP that will die with first shot, especially fighters.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Oberlus wrote:Which improvement (if any) do flak cannons get from what techs?
AFAIK, the flak cannon does not get any upgrades from techs currently. It's actually more of a proof of concept type of thing. The entire carrier/fighter thing, as it's currently present in the game, is at a "first rough implementation" stage, and in need of revision/polishing/fleshing out, meaning, very much work in progress.

As is the IS, and will be the Influence thing once it gets added next release cycle. I guess we need to do some refining/consolidating after 0.5.0. ;)

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

AFAIK the flak does not get any improvements ATM (its for shooting down fighters which always have 1HP).
Also the three rounds of the flak per round should randomly choose (different) targets. So a lucky flak cannon should be able to shoot down three fighters per round (i.e. 9 fighters per turn).
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

EricF
Space Dragon

#5 Post by EricF »

Ophiuchus wrote:Also the three rounds of the flak per round should randomly choose (different) targets.
So Flak does not have a priority to shoot at fighters first?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

EricF wrote:So Flak does not have a priority to shoot at fighters first?
Weapons target all valid targets with equal probability, independently for each shot.

EricF
Space Dragon

#7 Post by EricF »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
EricF wrote:So Flak does not have a priority to shoot at fighters first?
Weapons target all valid targets with equal probability, independently for each shot.
Any plans to change that?

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

EricF wrote:Any plans to change that?
Leaders or targetting parts in designs are vaguely envisioned to be able to prioritize target selection. Species could have grudges against other species, and also prioritize based on that.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Weapons target all valid targets with equal probability, independently for each shot.
So, in a given combat round, a single flak cannon could target more than once the same (say) fighter, because it is still a valid target until destroyed at the end of combat round?

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote:So, in a given combat round, a single flak cannon could target more than once the same (say) fighter, because it is still a valid target until destroyed at the end of combat round?
Yes.

phocas
Space Floater

#11 Post by phocas »

So did the fighters (bomber inteceptor..) follow the same rule as "Weapon" ?

so an interceptor could attack a battleship even if there are enemy fighters around ?

Geoff the Medio

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

phocas wrote:...so an interceptor could attack a battleship even if there are enemy fighters around ?
Yes.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#13 Post by Ophiuchus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:15 am
EricF wrote:Any plans to change that?
Leaders or targetting parts in designs are vaguely envisioned to be able to prioritize target selection. Species could have grudges against other species, and also prioritize based on that.
There is work going on right now to implement prioritized target selection: Combat Preferred Targetting thread
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!