Cheat menu for Freeorion.

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

darkedone02
Space Krill

Cheat menu for Freeorion.

#1 Post by darkedone02 »

I am wonder, do the game has it's cheat system in the game? If so, then I wonder how to activate it. The reason why I want to use the cheat menu, is cause I just want to mess around and have fun with stuff...

If there is none, i wish there was some type of way to get it.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Cheat menu for Freeorion.

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There are no in-game cheat options, and adding them isn't a priority.

You could edit a save file, if so inclined.

darkedone02
Space Krill

#3 Post by darkedone02 »

how do I edit a save file?

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Open it in a text editor, change the contents, then save. It'll probably take a lot more trial and error and tweaking than it's worth, though...

Alternatively, learn C++ (if necessary) and modify the existing game code to generate and/or save a universe to your liking.

darkedone02
Space Krill

#5 Post by darkedone02 »

from what I know, C++ takes years to learn (reference from my computer repair teacher at my school). I even try to attempt to edit my save however I want to find out how to edit my resources so I can gain a max... max food, max production goods, max goods (whatever that yin-yang symbol look-a-like).

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#6 Post by Zanzibar »

Look, dude... the AI isn't even coded into the game yet. I don't understand why you need a cheat menu or whatever against a computer opponent that doesn't do anything. Now, maybe when we get to a final release, I could understand that... but this is a very stable, pre-pre Alpha version... and the way things are being designed, it's not gonna be that hard to mod the game to have whatever you want... what's the point of a cheat menu in a game like that?

spaceshep
Space Krill

#7 Post by spaceshep »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Open it in a text editor, change the contents, then save. It'll probably take a lot more trial and error and tweaking than it's worth, though...

Alternatively, learn C++ (if necessary) and modify the existing game code to generate and/or save a universe to your liking.
please tell me exactly what to do, I would really like this! I hope you aren't holding back information just to make people struggle...?

if someone knows how to save edit, please tell us how! what is the correct place to make changes?
if you think you know reality, you are wrong. Look up the Mandela effect.

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

spaceshep wrote:if someone knows how to save edit, please tell us how! what is the correct place to make changes?
It's not possible to just tell you how to edit a save file. You'll probably have to do a lot of trial and error and tinkering to get it to work right, and the files are not designed to be edited that way. Also, if you're in the latest test builds, most of the save file's contents are compressed and not directly editable, though it should be possible in a v0.4.5 save. Just open a v0.4.5 save file in a decent text editor (any on Linux is probably OK) and look at the contents, find the relevant entries for ships or your empire, and adjust them, save, and see if it works. But again, it's probably not going to be easy or simple to get working.