Pimpage

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

Pimpage

#1 Post by Daveybaby »

Hi all. Any of you who are regulars on the Orion Sector forums may have already been aware of this - but i thought i should mention it here as well since it makes a lot of sense.

Basically... Freeorion has some competition.

Heh, not *much* in the way of competition, i'll grant you. But i've had this in the works for quite a while now (i did some initial work on it waaaaaaay back, then stopped about 3 years ago when i heard about moo3, since it seemed to promise everything i'd ever wanted) and i started working on it again about 2 months ago (actually right after after the 1.2.5 code patch, when i realised that moo3 was never going to be finished to a standard that i would find playable).

FYI : My aim is to produce something more Moo1-like in style than Moo2. Its also very much a one-man show (i'm designing this game for *me* - if you dont like what i'm doing, go design your own damn game... oh... you already are ;) ). Graphics are currently almost nonexistant, i am concentrating on getting the core engine behaviour working first with a placeholder UI (though i have what i think is a pretty good UI design in waiting).

The webby is also very basic at the moment. I will upgrade it (add forums etc) once i have something which will run on anything other than a Solaris system. I'm not intending to use any code from Freeorion (even though its open source) but there may still be situations where we can help each other out.

Have a look and see what you think.

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#2 Post by leiavoia »

May the best MOO win!

my project is also comming along pretty well (*with* graphics BTW), so it just goes to show that if you are committed, these kinds of projects will move forward.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by utilae »

Maybe I'll learn programming and make my own Moo, he he. :) Making your own game is so much better than a group effort, because you make the desicions and the decision making goes faster.

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#4 Post by leiavoia »

true, but when you get stuck, you get *really* stuck and have no one to turn to for help or ideas.

plus, other people really do have some good ideas you'll never even think of.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by utilae »

True. You'd have to turn to the net and books.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#6 Post by Daveybaby »

Just in case anyone is interested, i've updated the webpage and put all of my design documentation online. Also added some forums. Have a look, and if there's anything that looks like it will fit into FO then feel free to use it.