Sudden drop in target Production and Research

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Piwoslaw
Space Floater

Sudden drop in target Production and Research

#1 Post by Piwoslaw »

So I noticed that upon completing Solar Orbital Generator my Production suddenly started dropping with each turn. Same with Research, but to a lesser degree.
I have a few Fulvers, which do not like this SO Generator, and indeed their Stability dropped from 4.00 to 3.50, but it should not impact Prod and Research noticeably. Especially since the gains that SOG give should outweigh the drop.

So I went back 1-2 turns and paused SOG in the production queue before it was completed. And the targets for Prod and Research STILL suddenly start dropping on the next turn!

More details: on turn 311 target Production is 61.6 and Research is 57.7, but on turn 312 the targets drop to 44.2 and 52.7, resp.

I have never observed this with completion of SOG before, so I started checking other things:
- I did not lose any planets during that nor preceding turn,
- I did not lose nor complete any ships,
- Finished researching N-Dimensional Assembly,
- Population did not suddenly drop,
- No sudden chages to Influence.

So I cannot find the reason for Target Production and Research suddenly going down like that.

Not sure if I am just overlooking the cause of this?
I did not open a ticket for this yet, until I know it is a bug.

Playing: FreeOrion_2024-02-13.547a8ec_Test_Win32
I have attached save file for turn 311.
Attachments
FreeOrion_Human_Player_Adams_0311_20240303_163720.zip
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 3 times

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Sudden drop in target Production and Research

#2 Post by LienRag »

I don't have the time to look at the save file now, but indeed it seems weird.
SOG never should do this (except through a drop of Stability maybe) but since it happens even if you pause the SOG, then quite logically the SOG isn't the cause.
You don't have other Stability drops anywhere ? Your drop would be coherent with a few planets losing their 10 Stability and stopping giving you NAI and AA bonus.
You didn't change any Policy ?

Also, for bug hunt it is recommended to post saves of the turn before also (not sure why, but that's what I've been asked to produce when I signaled bugs).

BlueAward
Vacuum Dragon

#3 Post by BlueAward »

Mate, you gotta build more gas giant generators, they are low key biggest industry boost in early and even mid game, particularly if there are more planets in the same system to benefit from one GGG. Yeah maybe Fulver would be less happy but meh, they're only good for ships and for that you don't need much happiness. 5 flat industry bonus is unfortunately a lot compared to "normal" species output. You're building those titans already and whatnot, could've had much more production at this stage even with what territory you have already. Obviously you need to keep your folks at stability 10, this is name of the game. I think wobbly complained about it, too, how huge difference it actually is to keep your folks at 10 stability. It's a huge spike in output on research and production, keeping folks at least 10 stability, and suppose there's some drive to change that to make a lot of these bonuses fluid, depending how close to the optimal stability threshold you are, not binary yes/no.

That being said, on the Fulver happiness front, well, unfortunately this is where your problem is. You lose bonus from cultural archives on Royal Lystena. It needs at least 5 stability, and those Fulver were bleeding stability after you've conquered them to the point below 5 regardless of you building Solar Orbital Generator. Maybe build Imperial Regional Administration there or something

Piwoslaw
Space Floater

#4 Post by Piwoslaw »

LienRag wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:25 am Also, for bug hunt it is recommended to post saves of the turn before also (not sure why, but that's what I've been asked to produce when I signaled bugs).
That is a good practice. I have the saves for the previous ~10 turns, just in case.
BlueAward wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:11 am That being said, on the Fulver happiness front, well, unfortunately this is where your problem is. You lose bonus from cultural archives on Royal Lystena. It needs at least 5 stability, and those Fulver were bleeding stability after you've conquered them to the point below 5 regardless of you building Solar Orbital Generator. Maybe build Imperial Regional Administration there or something
You were right! I started again from turn 305 and kept an eye on Royal Lysterna. It had 11.00 Stability then, but would keep dropping. Going from turn 310->311 its Stability dropped from 5.00 to 4.00, and with it the planet's Production and Research target plummeted.

So that solves the mystery :)
Thank you, BlueAward!