Up-to-date FreeOrion Mac-SDK and build - Test please!

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Up-to-date FreeOrion Mac-SDK and build - Test please!

#136 Post by Vezzra »

New build available (SVN 4615). Download here. EDIT: Download no longer available.
Last edited by Vezzra on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#137 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'm going to call 4617 v0.4-RC2, so could you make another bundle (with appropriate version strings) ?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#138 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:I'm going to call 4617 v0.4-RC2, so could you make another bundle (with appropriate version strings) ?
Ok, I made a build of SVN 4617 with version string "v0.4-RC2 [SVN 4617] Xcode 3".
EDIT: Changed version string to "v0.4 [SVN 4617] Xcode 3" and reuploaded the file.

DOWNLOAD HERE. EDIT#2: Download no longer available.
Last edited by Vezzra on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Geoff the Medio

#139 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:Ok, I made a build of SVN 4617 with version string "v0.4-RC2 [SVN 4617] Xcode 3".
By appropriate, I meant in accordance with the previous post on the subject:
Geoff the Medio wrote:In future, just call it "v0.4 [SVN 46##] XCode 3", (replacing ## as appropriate) so that if there are no issues, I can just rename the file to make a v0.4 release; I don't want to have to download a new file just to get rid of the -RC# in the application title...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#140 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:...By appropriate, I meant in accordance with the previous post on the subject...
Oh, sorry! I obviously misunderstood, I thought by "appropriate" you meant an "appropriate RC2 version string", so I should make an exception and put the "RC2" in. Well, my mistake, I blame me not being a native speaker and sleep deprivation ;) Obviously, when I get up in the morning, I should wait some time until I'm completely awake before I do anything... :roll:

Corrected build uploaded. I replaced the former build in my dropbox, so you can use the link from the post above.

night
Space Kraken

#141 Post by night »

I updated the app to SVN r4623. You can get it here. Have fun!

EDIT: Corrected typo.
Last edited by night on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio

#142 Post by Geoff the Medio »

night wrote:I updated the app to SVN r4619
Could you make it 4623? There have been several bug fixes, and that's what I'll make into RC3 if there aren't any other issues from RC2 reported in the next day or so...

night
Space Kraken

#143 Post by night »

Yeah that's no problem at all.
EDIT: I just noticed a typo in the version string of the post. It actually is revision 4623.

Geoff the Medio

#144 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Apparently the Python issues have returned?

viewtopic.php?p=51007#p51007

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#145 Post by Vezzra »

New build of SVN 4625 available. This build has no python issues, at least on my system... (EDIT: fixed typo in SVN revision number).

Download here. EDIT: Download no longer available.
Last edited by Vezzra on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Geoff the Medio

#146 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Why 4615? (latest is 4625... or was that a typo?)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#147 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Why 4615? (latest is 4625... or was that a typo?)
Oops, typo... fixed. ;)

Geoff the Medio

#148 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I notice that in the app bundle, and presumably SDK, there is a Cg framework and a SDL framework in the frameworks directory. Those shouldn't be needed for FO, so is there a reason they're there? The Cg one in particular is quite large (28 MB) so would be nice to remove from the download...

There is also a Cg framework plugin in the plugins directory.

The sharedsupport directory also has a few potentially unnecessary items, mostly appearing to be old graphviz things: libcdt, libexpat, libgraph, libgvc, libgvc_builtins, libgvcplugin_dot_layout, libpatplan....

Edit: Also, the Python library files in the OSX version are about 70 MB, while the python27.zip in the Win32 version are about 2.3 MB. I suspect some of that 70 MB is not necessary... Perhaps distutils, test/decimaltestdata and site-packages could be removed?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#149 Post by Vezzra »

Build 4631 available. Download here. EDIT: Download no longer available.
Last edited by Vezzra on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#150 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:I notice that in the app bundle, and presumably SDK, there is a Cg framework and a SDL framework in the frameworks directory. Those shouldn't be needed for FO, so is there a reason they're there? The Cg one in particular is quite large (28 MB) so would be nice to remove from the download...
I can only guess that these are leftovers from a time when FO used these frameworks, and no one bothered cleaning up till now. I've removed the dependencies and the frameworks.
There is also a Cg framework plugin in the plugins directory.
Removed that one too.
The sharedsupport directory also has a few potentially unnecessary items, mostly appearing to be old graphviz things: libcdt, libexpat, libgraph, libgvc, libgvc_builtins, libgvcplugin_dot_layout, libpatplan....
I removed the following libraries and corresponding dependencies:
  • libcdt
  • libexpat
  • libgraph
  • libgvc
  • libgvc_builtins
  • libgvcplugin_dot_layout
  • libpathplan
  • libSDLmain
I can't tell which other library files belong to frameworks, libraries etc. that are no longer needed. I went through the list you provided above, and kicked out the libSDLmain too because I assumed that it's no longer necessary if the entire SDL framework is obsolet.
Edit: Also, the Python library files in the OSX version are about 70 MB, while the python27.zip in the Win32 version are about 2.3 MB. I suspect some of that 70 MB is not necessary... Perhaps distutils, test/decimaltestdata and site-packages could be removed?
How you got the python standard libraries down to 2.3MB I don't know, but at least I removed distutils, test (this are 28MB!) and unittest assuming they shouldn't be needed to deploy FO. I also removed a folder named "Extras" from the python framework tree, which was about 58MB.

Building FO and running a test game after all these modifications was successful. I've already uploaded the build (SVN 4631, see above post).

I made a new SDK based upon this one: FreeOrion_Mac_OS_X_SDK_Intel_32-Bit_Xcode3_31_Dec_2011.tar. Applied all the modifications and the updated project. I'm currently testing if the new SDK works, I'll upload it and post the link when these tests are successful.

I've attached a zip archive with the updated info.plist, Version.cpp and project.pbxproj files, please commit to SVN.
Attachments
Xcode_Files.zip
Updated info.plist, Version.cpp and project.pbxproj files
(54.61 KiB) Downloaded 107 times