AI's rename original Capitol Planet according to personality

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

AI's rename original Capitol Planet according to personality

#1 Post by Dilvish »

Ok, so I know the current differences in AI aggression/personality are, at least currently, mostly rather subtle & so it's hard to even give any feedback on how much they matter. So, partly to add some more flavor, & partly to facilitate AI personality feedback, the AI's now rename their capitol planet on turn 1, adding a prefix. Once you discover their home system you can see what kind of style they've got & see if it fits with your impression of how they've played. Right now I don't think this really gives away anything that would detract from challenge, but it's a possibility we'll conclude it does & take this out. Still, for now, I hope it at least helps enable some more feedback.

The current prefixes are:

Turtle: Citadel
Cautious: Bastion of the Brave
Moderate: Haven
Aggressive: Royal Demesne
Maniacal: Stairway to Heaven
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: AI's rename original Capitol Planet according to persona

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Those names should probably (eventually) be gotten from the stringtable like all / most other in-game text.

There's a bunch that isn't, though, including all the system (and thus most planet) names, and I'm not sure if the server even knows what stringtable the client is using.

For now, you might look at checking if UserString is exposed to Python, and if not, exposing it, so that those names aren't hard-coded in the .py file, but instead could be gotten from the (default english) stringtable.

Dilvish

#3 Post by Dilvish »

ua, it looks like user string is not currently supported. Another related idea might be to have the displayed planet names support VarText, then the player's client would handle translation according to their stringtable, yes?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:...have the displayed planet names support VarText...
I don't see how that would help; the planet still needs to have a name assigned, presumably by the AI, which thus needs to look it up in a stringtable. It might also conflict with the customized manner in which planet names are displayed.

A more general fix might involve having all object names have an associated flag to track whether they are user-readable or need to be looked up in stringtables. This way, players could use different translations in the same game, without requiring the AIs to pick a single translation to use when naming objects. A few bits of content already so something similar.

Overall, not a major priority.

Dilvish

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Dilvish wrote:...have the displayed planet names support VarText...
I don't see how that would help; the planet still needs to have a name assigned, presumably by the AI, which thus needs to look it up in a stringtable. It might also conflict with the customized manner in which planet names are displayed.
Ah, I thought the VarText replacement by the client could handle the stringtable aspect, but I'm no VarText expert.

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:Ah, I thought the VarText replacement by the client could handle the stringtable aspect...
VarText could substitute in the name of an object, but it gets that name from the object's name data, which is (at that point) stored in readable form as part of the object, not as a stringtable key. For techs or buildings or other content, then yes, it would look up in the stringtable, but game objects are not content.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by eleazar »

Dilvish wrote:Ok, so I know the current differences in AI aggression/personality are, at least currently, mostly rather subtle & so it's hard to even give any feedback on how much they matter. So, partly to add some more flavor, & partly to facilitate AI personality feedback, the AI's now rename their capitol planet on turn 1, adding a prefix.
I didn't know we had AI personalities. As we currently lack any diplomatic dialog this is an interesting way to sneak info in.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

eleazar wrote:I didn't know we had AI personalities.
Well, that's actually "AI aggression levels", Dilvish's most recent addition to the AI. There are five of them, ranging from very defensive to extremly aggressive.