Tectonic minerology

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

Tectonic minerology

#1 Post by unjashfan »

I've been wondering for a while now about the tectonic minerology tech. It says "some sort of aggressive mining goes here", but currently it only functions as a prerequisite. What was the original idea?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Tectonic minerology

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

You've probably put as much thought into it as anyone else...

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by eleazar »

We used to have a secondary mining focus that had negative side-effects. It got removed due to recent changes.
I think the basic idea is an interesting choice.

The "new" version would be a focus with extra production boost that has a negative effect on happiness-- once that is a meaningful tradeoff.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

eleazar wrote:... that has a negative effect on happiness-- once that is a meaningful tradeoff.
Surely you're not such a brute as to blithely ignore the potentiality that behind all those smiley faces could lie virtually unhappy virtual citizen proxies !?!? :shock:
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by unjashfan »

I figured there was going to be something implemented to this tech since it says "some sort of aggressive mining goes here". That was why I asked if there was an original idea planned.

I was thinking if it might be plausible to have this tech give production bonuses to planets using the mining focus, or bonuses related to the Rich minerals or High energy metaloids specials. These specials and this tech has also been mentioned as possible prerequisites to a conceptual mid-level armour plating in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7109

One really extreme idea that I have thought about was having this tech unlocking the mining focus for the whole empire; the mining focus would produce more industry than the standard industry focus, but at a significant cost (perhaps halving the population of planets or a high malus to infrastructure?). This seems to be redundant with concentration camps though.

Thoughts?