auto-generated maps

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

XB-7
Space Krill

auto-generated maps

#1 Post by XB-7 »

Ok, so I have apologize fore re-posting this question as I remember reading it here in the forum a few years ago. How do I get FreeOrion to generate a new and different map?

I haven't changed any of the starting settings, but I've notice that the planets and monster spawns never change with each new game. All the terran planets are always in the same spot.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: auto-generated maps

#2 Post by eleazar »

Change the number of stars or the galaxy type.

For this phase of development, the same settings always produce the same galaxy. This makes testing easier.

XB-7
Space Krill

#3 Post by XB-7 »

Cool. Thanks!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

eleazar wrote:Change the number of stars or the galaxy type.

For this phase of development, the same settings always produce the same galaxy. This makes testing easier.
In my setup at home, I have it generate a new map anytime the number of stars is more than 60, to make it easy for me to test or play. A patch for that is attached for anyone interested.
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Adding a "seed" field to the galaxy setup dialog could also be useful. Defaults to 0 for consistency, can be set to whatever to generate new galaxy. Could have a "reseed" or "randomize" button to generate a new seed based on the clock. Would need to send the seed with the galaxy setup data.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#6 Post by Zireael »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Adding a "seed" field to the galaxy setup dialog could also be useful. Defaults to 0 for consistency, can be set to whatever to generate new galaxy. Could have a "reseed" or "randomize" button to generate a new seed based on the clock. Would need to send the seed with the galaxy setup data.
This is a brilliant idea. It would make replicating a game easier without having to have the current situation, in which
the same settings always produce the same galaxy. This makes testing easier.

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by unjashfan »

How can I get the patch to work? I've tried placing it in different folders and using the apply patch function from TortoiseSVN.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#8 Post by Sloth »

unjashfan wrote:How can I get the patch to work? I've tried placing it in different folders and using the apply patch function from TortoiseSVN.
You have to make sure that UniverseServer.cpp gets changed by the patch and then compile (build the solution with msvc).
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by unjashfan »

You have to make sure that UniverseServer.cpp gets changed by the patch and then compile (build the solution with msvc).
I can't find the UniverseServer.cpp file anywhere on my computer. Actually I can't seem to find any of the .cpp files related to FO now that I started looking...

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#10 Post by Dilvish »

unjashfan wrote:
I can't find the UniverseServer.cpp file anywhere on my computer. Actually I can't seem to find any of the .cpp files related to FO now that I started looking...
Sounds like you've been working with one of the precompiled packages. If you want to take a swing at compiling yourself,so you have the flexibility to try patches such as these, here are compile instructions: http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Compile
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by unjashfan »

Ahhhhhh... :o *revelation moment* that sure answers a lot of questions. Thanks a lot! :D