Major system upgrade - will be gone for some days...

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Major system upgrade - will be gone for some days...

#1 Post by Vezzra »

I'm finally getting around to upgrade my system to Mountain Lion and switch my dev environment to Xcode 4, which will keep me busy for a few days (because I'm not just doing that standard upgrade, but a complete reinstall of the entire system). I'll probably won't be able to respond to posts and PMs until my system is back up and running. The plan is to have everything done by Sunday evening, but you never know. If there are some unforseen issues, this might take longer, in this case I won't be able to provide the Monday builds. However, that's very unlikely.

Just so you know why I'm going silent for the next few days ;)

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Major system upgrade - will be gone for some days...

#2 Post by eleazar »

Good Luck!

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#3 Post by Bigjoe5 »

eleazar wrote:Good Luck!
Yes, this. :)
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Unfortunately I've got bad news. My attempt to switch to ML and Xcode 4 didn't go well, I ran into a couple of issues I haven't been able to fix.

One of the more serious problems already came up with the switch to ML, I wasn't able to access the shares on my NAS server anymore. The AFP shares didn't work at all (allegedly outdated server software, although current as of 10.6, which is a major letdown on Apple's part in my book), and on the SMB shares I could not access subfolders in finder (another serious disappointment, as a bit of googling revealed that this issue apparently is around since Lion). Which effectively means I'm not able use my NAS under ML at all, that being a deal breaker by itself because I absolutely need my NAS, it's my primary storage server.

I still tried to build FO with Xcode 4, which only worked with the LLVM GCC 4.2 compiler after several attempts. No luck with clang, and as using clang to be able to use c++11 features was the idea after all, the whole purpose for doing the switch is defeated. Furthermore, even if building FO with clang would have been successful, there would be still another problem: To be able to use c++11 and the c++11 standard library at least 10.7 lion is required, so any binary produced with that features cannot run on 10.6 SL or earlier. This is a serious problem, as there are still many Macs running SL out there.

I'm sorry, but fixing all these issues is beyond my capabilities.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

I know the shares issue is only part of your overall ML problems, and you probably already saw these potential solutions, but just to check -- it looks like a number of folks found that in order to see the shares subfolders, they had to connect not just to the server, but have the connection specification include the main shares folder -- "smb://[server]/[folder]" see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4145388?tstart=0
some other potential solutions were at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3258472?tstart=0 and http://krypted.com/mac-os-x/making-my-nas-work-in-lion/

If one of these did work for you, maybe someone else here has a suggestion for the compiler problems.

You have my sympathies :(
and wishes for good luck :)
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

adrian_broher
Programmer

#6 Post by adrian_broher »

Too bad to hear that the upgrade didn't pan out. So what's your contingency plan for now? Are you trying to fix the mounts or do you want to roll back the installation?
Vezzra wrote:I still tried to build FO with Xcode 4, which only worked with the LLVM GCC 4.2 compiler after several attempts. No luck with clang, and as using clang to be able to use c++11 features was the idea after all, the whole purpose for doing the switch is defeated.
What kind of problems do you ran into? Just compiler issues or something else?
Vezzra wrote:Furthermore, even if building FO with clang would have been successful, there would be still another problem: To be able to use c++11 and the c++11 standard library at least 10.7 lion is required, so any binary produced with that features cannot run on 10.6 SL or earlier. This is a serious problem, as there are still many Macs running SL out there.
Do you have some reference for that?
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:I know the shares issue is only part of your overall ML problems, and you probably already saw these potential solutions, but just to check -- it looks like a number of folks found that in order to see the shares subfolders, they had to connect not just to the server, but have the connection specification include the main shares folder -- "smb://[server]/[folder]" see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4145388?tstart=0
some other potential solutions were at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3258472?tstart=0 and http://krypted.com/mac-os-x/making-my-nas-work-in-lion/
I came across similar sites, maybe even one of those you mention here, but most of them actually deal with a different problem, at least as far as SMB shares are concerned - they can't establish a connection to the shares, which is not the problem ML has with my NAS. I can connect perfectly fine, even access subfolders, but only in the terminal or programs like muCommander. Just not in Finder, which is a problem of course. In Finder I can only access files at the root folder of the shares, subfolders appear as if I do not have the necessary access rights, and consequently can't be opened. The problem I have seem to occur only with Unix boxes sharing via SMB, which figures since my NAS is a Unix box (OpenIndiana 151a to be precise). I haven't found a workable solution however.

The problem with the AFP shares can probably be solved, installing a current version of netatalk should do the trick I think. If I'd get FO to compile in Xcode 4 with clang, I'd go ahead and deal with these issues, but as it is, it's not worth the trouble.
You have my sympathies :(
and wishes for good luck :)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote:Too bad to hear that the upgrade didn't pan out. So what's your contingency plan for now? Are you trying to fix the mounts or do you want to roll back the installation?
I had to roll back the installation. I've installed a ML system on an external drive now for testing purposes.
Vezzra wrote:I still tried to build FO with Xcode 4, which only worked with the LLVM GCC 4.2 compiler after several attempts. No luck with clang, and as using clang to be able to use c++11 features was the idea after all, the whole purpose for doing the switch is defeated.
What kind of problems do you ran into? Just compiler issues or something else?
Well, Xcode 4 feels ackward and cumbersome to me, especially this "scheme" concept is more annoying than helpful, but maybe I just need to get the hang on it. But that are problems I can live with. The real trouble are compile errors. Which are only a few, as long as I don't enable C++11 support, if I do that, I get a lot more. I don't think that they can't be fixed, it's just that it's beyond my capabilities... having another, more capable OSX dev around would be a really big help...
Vezzra wrote:Furthermore, even if building FO with clang would have been successful, there would be still another problem: To be able to use c++11 and the c++11 standard library at least 10.7 lion is required, so any binary produced with that features cannot run on 10.6 SL or earlier. This is a serious problem, as there are still many Macs running SL out there.
Do you have some reference for that?
Yep. If I try to build FO with C++11 support enabled and the Deployment Target setting is "10.6", clang immediatly throws an error for each build target indicating that the Deployment Target setting needs to be at least "10.7". As this setting determines the minimum OSX version you can run the resulting executables on, this means if I want to use C++11 features, I can only build binaries that will run on 10.7 or later. Maybe there is a workaround for that, but again, that's beyond my capabilities :(