Freeorion cheats?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Zizi2013
Space Krill

Freeorion cheats?

#1 Post by Zizi2013 »

Do freeorion got some cheats,or edit programs?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Freeorion cheats?

#2 Post by Dilvish »

No 'cheats' per-se, since all the primary content is user-editable (with a decent editor like Notepad+ to handle some of the complex characters, not plain notepad). The default content is located in your main install directory, in the '/default' subdirectory. On windows this might be a little bit of a nuisance to get access to (might have to change some folder options). The content scripting language is described here.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

I used to love hacking around the files in the Default folder and making up my own species, changing costs, etc. One thing to bear in mind, any changes you make are applied to all the AIs as well, but some things the AIs won't/can't use, it's unlikely you'll break something horribly but it has been done.

OTOH I did a few times create a massively overpowered playable race and on one seed half the AIs were using it, that was an, um, interesting game. Never could manage to get them balanced.

If you want help or advice on getting somethign to work, the scripting and balancing forum is quite good, post what you want to do and we'll try to figure out if it's doable.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

If you want an unfair advantage, make the super-tester-takeover building. You may have to un-comment the building and species. They are much more powerful than other species.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

With some additional changes, moderator mode could act like a cheat mode.

Zizi2013
Space Krill

#6 Post by Zizi2013 »

I need a tutorial how to change the game,for example i would want alot of money,and be the powerfully in the game.So tell me what i have to do.

shawndream
Space Kraken

#7 Post by shawndream »

It sounds like you haven't actually tried the game yet.

Learning anything about how it works at all will help you immensely. I'd be happy to help if you had some questions after you tried it.

If you really want to read about the game instead of trying it, there is a quick play tutorial here:

http://freeorion.org/index.php/V0.4_Quick_Play_Guide
Everything I post is self-created unless noted otherwise. It is simultaneously released under GPL 2.0 or later, CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, and GNU Free Documentation 1.2. Make something awesome with it please!

chevaliier901
Space Krill

#8 Post by chevaliier901 »

What I'd be really interested in is just being able to temporarily reveal the map, so I can figure out just how many thousands of monsters I need to beat with a stick in order to revive the AI player lol

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

chevaliier901 wrote:What I'd be really interested in is just being able to temporarily reveal the map
Well, to achieve that you can save your game, then queue a Super-Tester takeover building at one of your colonies and advance two turns. This should reveal the entire map to you. Look around, and once you're satisfied, quit without saving, reload your prior save, and continue playing.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by MatGB »

It would be a use for, say, the Observatory if we wanted to reintroduce that, with the changes Geoff made that enabled us to do telepathic detection and redo the derelict scout it could end up being fun.

A one shot reveal everything would be a bit powerful, but perhaps a caretakers/builders map special (or maybe an ability of the panopticon) that would reveal all sentries and specials?

@chevaliier901

Remember the game is balanced and the AI is coded assuming fairly early contact between players, that 15-30 systems per player guide is actually quite important. And yes, the AIs do tend to get bogged down and swamped if there are too many monsters/specials, although they are very good at finding and grabbing nests.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#11 Post by dbenage-cx »

On a side note, some version of a temporary map reveal could be a good candidate for ancient ruins.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#12 Post by MatGB »

dbenage-cx wrote:On a side note, some version of a temporary map reveal could be a good candidate for ancient ruins.
This is quite a good plan, Ruins can have random effects and a 'reveal all within X' effect where X is big but not everything would be an interesting replacement for the nothing you can sometimes get if you've already got most things.
Mat Bowles

spaceshep
Space Krill

#13 Post by spaceshep »

MatGB wrote:I used to love hacking around the files in the Default folder and making up my own species, changing costs, etc. One thing to bear in mind, any changes you make are applied to all the AIs as well, but some things the AIs won't/can't use, it's unlikely you'll break something horribly but it has been done.

OTOH I did a few times create a massively overpowered playable race and on one seed half the AIs were using it, that was an, um, interesting game. Never could manage to get them balanced.

If you want help or advice on getting somethign to work, the scripting and balancing forum is quite good, post what you want to do and we'll try to figure out if it's doable.
Can you teach me how to do this? is there a way to disallow the AI from using a custom made race? I really want to make my own overpowered race and not let the AI ever use it and then just have loads of fun.

I read the entire thing at http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Effects and I still have no idea how to use it or where to put it.

I'm on Linux.
if you think you know reality, you are wrong. Look up the Mandela effect.

spaceshep
Space Krill

#14 Post by spaceshep »

Geoff the Medio wrote:With some additional changes, moderator mode could act like a cheat mode.
eleazar wrote:If you want an unfair advantage, make the super-tester-takeover building. You may have to un-comment the building and species. They are much more powerful than other species.

how do you make that building? how do you use moderator mode?
if you think you know reality, you are wrong. Look up the Mandela effect.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#15 Post by Geoff the Medio »

spaceshep wrote:
eleazar wrote:If you want an unfair advantage, make the super-tester-takeover building. You may have to un-comment the building and species. They are much more powerful than other species.
how do you make that building? how do you use moderator mode?
If you're using a test build, it's in the producible items for any populated planet you control. As eleazar noted, though, if you're not using a test build, it's probably commented out and not producible.

To use moderator mode, start a multiplayer game and make yourself a moderator, and optionally add some AIs.
spaceshep wrote:I read the entire thing at http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Effects and I still have no idea how to use it or where to put it.
It depends on the version you're using, but in the latest test builds, the species definitions are in the default/scripting/species directory: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... ng/species