General Suggestions

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

litppunk
Space Krill

General Suggestions

#1 Post by litppunk »

Suggestion 1: Add local Multiplayer
This would allow for players to do more complex strategies by playing as two different empires against say impossible rated AIs, or playing with/against a friend on one computer, without going online. As well as making it easier to bring new people to the Free Orion community.

Suggestion 2: Add neutral setting
currently it is declare war or peace. Empires neutral to each other will defend controlled systems, keeping any from entering without a fight, but will act peacefully in any area neutral to both empires.

Suggestion 3: Game mode/Winning Conditions
saw this one get touched on in another topic, but I wanted to go into greater detail and add more choices for win conditions.

Choice to disable tech win/AI tech win. Due to my play style this is a biggie for me. I like to tech up fast and then go conquest, that is my play style Grow Empire, spend barely enough resources to defend borders/slight expansion, and tech up like crazy, and finally conquest the game. In games with more competition/aggressive AI I don't like having to fear an AI getting the tech win while I am gallivanting about the galaxy trashing all the other empires.

Team Death match, King of the system(hill), Monster fight mode (solo vs increasingly harder monsters, and/or monsters unleashed against galaxy at choosable turn)

hmmm... can't think of anything else off the top of my head

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: General Suggestions

#2 Post by Dilvish »

litppunk wrote:Suggestion 1: Add local Multiplayer
Seems to me that this *ought* to be workable now, by first starting up a regular multiplayer host session and then starting up a second human client with --force-external-server and then having that client search for games at localhost (though the logfile name conflict/overwrite might be a problem). However, when I just tried that no games showed up in the localhost search. I expect it would not be a huge problem to correct, but it's hard to say when it might catch the attention of a dev interested in spending time on it.
Suggestion 2: Add neutral setting
Quite a bit more is planned for AI diplomacy, but will take a fair while due to dev time constraints.
Suggestion 3: Game mode/Winning Conditions
You can find a fair bit of discussion on this by searching the boards; there is certainly a fair bit more planned.
Choice to disable tech win/AI tech win.
At some point we plan to add support for selectable victory conditions. As it stands, for this one you could just go into the FO defaults/techs.txt file and add an extra zero or two to the cost of "LRN_TRANSCEND", which is the script tag for "Singularity of Transcendence". I also just put in support for AI exclusion of techs to be gated by AI aggression level, with LRN_TRANSCEND being excluded for AI's in the lower three aggression levels (adjustable in default/AI/AIDependencies.py).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:...no games showed up in the localhost search.
If you connect to localhost in a multiplayer game, it should find a running server, even though it doesn't show in the list. No need to force external server, though; that's only relevant for single player games where you want to start the server separately.

Dilvish

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Yes, indeed, that did work fine. I was distracted by the lack of a lan game being listed and hadn't noticed before that the 'Ok' button was enabled. I just tested a couple turns, and both clients just added to the same freeorion.log file, without apparent problem.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I've been using a method similar to that for testing for years. Was particularly important before moderator / observer mode was implemented. Is still useful for setting up test situations involving multiple empires.

litppunk
Space Krill

#6 Post by litppunk »

I realized that alot of the suggestions were out there in some form or another just wanted to make a forum spot where general suggest could be made. can't wait for next updates. Will improve playability so much. Also just adding the ability to add human slots so more than 1 can play on single computer would be awesome. I don't think you responded to that particular request. All in all thanks for all the hard work keep it up. Not much for a modder or programmer so I either have to learn it or wait till updates.

Dilvish

#7 Post by Dilvish »

litppunk wrote:Also just adding the ability to add human slots so more than 1 can play on single computer would be awesome. I don't think you responded to that particular request.
I think both Geoff and I spoke about how to do that. Perhaps it's the order of actions that is throwing you off-- you don't explicitly add more human slots, it's just that once the multiplayer host setup is started (but before the game is actually started) other local clients (whether human or AI) can join the game.