Changelog location

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Bulgroz
Krill Swarm

Changelog location

#1 Post by Bulgroz »

Hullo there, I started playing FreeOrion a few days ago on build 7809 (which I got off SourceForge) and I love it so far! I'm getting my butt handed to me on a platter by the AI (this is fine with me!)...but I digress and will post in the play-testing feedback forum soonish about all this.

Right now I am going to start a new game and thought to perhaps upgrade the game (current latest build is 7641) if there were any changes affecting gameplay. So I tried to locate a current changelog, but my search-fu fails me. Where is it (By which I mean: please direct me to it and if it is simply a commit history somewhere, I can read that too)?

PS: What's with the full installer/binaries only option. Can I safely assume it would suffice to update the binaries?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Changelog location

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The only constantly-maintained changelog is the SVN commit messages list. This can be viewed with an SVN client, or online here: http://sourceforge.net/p/freeorion/code/HEAD/log/

(This is linked on the wiki main page.)

The binaries only are useful if someone is comfortable updating the content files from SVN, but doesn't want to or can't compile the binaries from source. Assuming no content changes have occurred is not recommended.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Every time we do a new release, it's discussed keeping a new changelog for all the commits between full releases, and for various reasons (some of them good) it's always ruled out. Sometimes we think of doing a "this weeks changes" thing somewhere but even that's a pain.

On the other hand, writing a changelog from scratch after several months of commits is also a royal pain. When I'm DLing the test each week I tend to look at the Head log to see what's happened, to be honest apart from some changes to improve the AI's use of ships and some improvements to the ship design screen there isn't a huge amount of user facing changes from the last stable to the current test, it's mostly backend stuff that's improving performance and stopping crashes.

But if someone were to volunteer to keep a changelog up to date for each test that'd be wonderful, I think, but no one's come forward yet ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Bulgroz
Krill Swarm

#4 Post by Bulgroz »

The SVN log will do fine for me, thanks for directing me to it.
Code or patches in anything posted is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.
Suggested wiki content posted is released under the the CC and GPL licences (whichever applies in the context) in use for the FO wiki.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MatGB wrote:On the other hand, writing a changelog from scratch after several months of commits is also a royal pain.
It's not really that bad... last time there was a long thread and people spent many more hours discussing how to allocate the writing work than it took for me to just go through and write it... It was maybe 2 hours for me to do it.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:It's not really that bad... last time there was a long thread and people spent many more hours discussing how to allocate the writing work than it took for me to just go through and write it... It was maybe 2 hours for me to do it.
You do know what that means concerning the compilation of the 0.4.5 changelog? :mrgreen: