Revision 4282 is not v0.3.17 ?

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

Tex
Space Krill

Revision 4282 is not v0.3.17 ?

#1 Post by Tex »

Hello,

I checked out freeorion:

Code: Select all

svn co https://freeorion.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freeorion/trunk
then executed from FreeOrion folder:

svn update -r 4282
and from FreeOrion/GG folder:

svn update -r 1044
But the compiled game lists the version as v0.3.15 at the bottom right corner of the initial game screen. Does this not mean that I am in fact playing the v0.3.15 release, and that it would be incompatible with a friend using a pre-compiled windows latest release which I assume is v0.3.17 ?

thanks for any explanations

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Revision 4282 is not v0.3.17 ?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If you built 4282 then you have v0.3.17. If it shows v0.3.15 at the bottom right, that's probably because the Version.cpp that your build is using hasn't been updated to indicate the new version. I'm guessing you built on Linux, as the Windows/MSVC 2010 Version.cpp was updated, and the OSX one says v0.3.16 in SVN (though I assume the actual release version had an updated number). I'm also guessing there's a line in CMakeLists.txt or some other CMake file that sets the version number for the Linux build, but since nobody's been making release builds for Linux recently, nobody bothered to update the number since the last Linux release, which was v0.3.15.

Tex
Space Krill

#3 Post by Tex »

Wow, that's a quick reply, thanks a lot. I am using Fedora 15, and was able to compile it ..fairly.. easily, after installing a few more libraries and adding libGLU to the linking file... So yall have seperate source code for linux, mac, and windows? Does this mean that some functionality could be "missing" too?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Tex wrote:So yall have seperate source code for linux, mac, and windows? Does this mean that some functionality could be "missing" too?
There are a few source files, mostly very short, that are separate. In the case of the version number, the file is about 10 lines, and just implements a function that returns a string.

The vast majority of code is common, and works the same on all platforms. There are #ifdef bits of code for platform dependent stuff (eg. directories for saves and configuration files), but everything should work similarly.

There are a few platform-specific bugs, though, such as changing windowed / fullscreen using the apply button or an AI / Python library issue on OSX.