Linux version

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

mcirsta
Space Krill

Linux version

#1 Post by mcirsta »

Hi

I'm the maintainer for the FreeOrion package for Frugalware Linux. I just wanted to say it was a pain in the ... to package this game. Could you please give the Linux client some love ? Or would you accept patches for it ?
Also when you make a new release it would help a lot to release a tarball with the source code ( you could use xz for minimal size ). At the very least update the compile page on the wiki so that I know which SVN versions of FreeOrion and Gigi to get.
Thanks.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Linux version

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

mcirsta wrote:Could you please give the Linux client some love ?
Could you define love?
Or would you accept patches for it ?
Quite possibly, yes. Please do provide patches.
Also when you make a new release it would help a lot to release a tarball with the source code ( you could use xz for minimal size ). At the very least update the compile page on the wiki so that I know which SVN versions of FreeOrion and Gigi to get.
We do update the compile page with what SVN versions to use:
Compile Page wrote:FreeOrion v0.3.17 is FreeOrion SVN revision 4282: http://freeorion.svn.sourceforge.net/vi ... threv=4282 with GiGi SVN revision 1044: http://gigi.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ ... threv=1044
From those linked SVN revision stickies, you can download a gzipped tarball, such as this.

mcirsta
Space Krill

#3 Post by mcirsta »

Well by love I mean releases... For any Windows/Mac release it would be nice to have a tarball with source code for Linux. Yes I can go and get one based on the SVN revision and all but it's convenient to have the source tarball available as is. Besides the static bin for Linux shows 0.15 I think.
Also in the news you mentioned some post 0.17 versions for which I could find nothing for Linux. A link for where the revision number to get the tarball and try would be appreciated.
I'll see what I can do about those patches, need to rewrite them properly.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

mcirsta wrote:Well by love I mean releases...
If you or someone else would like to make more statically linked Linux binaries, we can release them, but the person who was providing them before has stopped doing so. This was done using the old SCons-based build system, for which I've attached the (out of date) files to this post.
For any Windows/Mac release it would be nice to have a tarball with source code for Linux. Yes I can go and get one based on the SVN revision and all but it's convenient to have the source tarball available as is.
There's no separate download of Linux source code; it's all the same code, with some #ifdef when needed. There are CMake build setup files provided, which work fine on Linux. I don't know what you mean by "as is"; you can follow the links to download the numbered SVN version tarball from the relevant SVN version of the sourceforge SVN browse page.
Besides the static bin for Linux shows 0.15 I think.
[...]
Also in the news you mentioned some post 0.17 versions for which I could find nothing for Linux.
v0.3.15 the latest version for which a Linux binary is available.
A link for where the revision number to get the tarball and try would be appreciated.
Already linked in my previous post: on the compile page. There are links labelled "Download GNU tarball" on the SVN browse sticky revision page.
Attachments
FreeOrion_SCons_build_stuff.zip
Old SCons build stuff for statically linked version of FreeOrion.
(25 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

mcirsta
Space Krill

#5 Post by mcirsta »

Thanks for your answers , it's really appreciated especially since it's an open source project.

I'll send in some patches for the cmake version for Linux which should hopefully solve some of problems and make it easier to package on Linux.

Just an example of the problems I'm having: You posted builds on Windows and Mac of SVN 4521 if I'm correct. I don't know what SVN version of Gigi works with this.

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

mcirsta wrote:Just an example of the problems I'm having: You posted builds on Windows and Mac of SVN 4521 if I'm correct. I don't know what SVN version of Gigi works with this.
Ah, sorry, I thought you just wanted to make builds of the numbered releases. FreeOrion 4521 is 8 days old, and the newest GiGi is 1074 which is 10 days old, so you should use the latest GiGi as of this writing.

However, for non-numbered releases, there's usually no point to building an old version. So, if you want to make a Linux build, just do it of the latest SVN of FreeOrion and GiGi.