Run-time Error After Compiling in Lubuntu 12.04

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

ubuntu_12.04_user
Space Krill

Run-time Error After Compiling in Lubuntu 12.04

#1 Post by ubuntu_12.04_user »

Never mind, it works now :) (after the seventh download/compile/build/install try)

Here's a screenshot for proof:
2012-10-24-025807_1440x900_scrot.jpg
2012-10-24-025807_1440x900_scrot.jpg (183.32 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

ubuntu_12.04_user
Space Krill

Re: Run-time Error After Compiling in Lubuntu 12.04

#2 Post by ubuntu_12.04_user »

Ok, so there's still a few things wrong with it that I can't tell how to fix. Maybe someone out there knows how to fix these issues:

1. I can't type in any of the fields- they're all locked and the only way I can edit the names of any of my ships is to go into root from the terminal editor program and change the names

2. It saves all the games in root

3. Once in a while it starts tiling, but not until I have a lot of ships.

4. I can only run FO from the directory I installed it and from root (sudo ./freeorion or sudo su ./freeorion) otherwise it won't save any of the game files.

5. I get this error message from the terminal every time I run FO:
AL lib: oss.c:169: Could not open /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Dave :)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

ubuntu_12.04_user wrote:1. I can't type in any of the fields- they're all locked and the only way I can edit the names of any of my ships is to go into root from the terminal editor program and change the names
Sounds like a problem with the OIS keyboard intput plugin. Did you build the code that comes with FreeOrion SVN and use that to link / run FreeOrion?
2. It saves all the games in root
What do you mean by "saves ... in root"?
3. Once in a while it starts tiling, but not until I have a lot of ships.
What do you mean by "tiling"?
4. I can only run FO from the directory I installed it and from root (sudo ./freeorion or sudo su ./freeorion) otherwise it won't save any of the game files.
~/.freeorion might be owned by the root account if you ran the game using sudo. If that's the case, then any attempts to write config files or save games within that directory might fail because your regular account lacks write permission there.
5. I get this error message from the terminal every time I run FO:
AL lib: oss.c:169: Could not open /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
Looks like a problem with OpenAL... You'll need to search for that error message; I don't know what it means.

ubuntu_12.04_user
Space Krill

#4 Post by ubuntu_12.04_user »

I may have compiled the wrong version of OpenAL, so I will try and download, build/compile, and re-install the latest version of OpenAL and re-install FO but I won't be able to do that until tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'll have fun with what I got ;) The tiling I think may be a memory issue that is solved when I'm not running any other programs but FO.

I think the original problem for saving files and changing text fields within the game is because I accidentally compiled/built FO in root (su), so it was automatically writing to the ./freeorion save folder as root (su) and that caused major issues. Anyways, I'm currently re-compiling/building it in the regular folder /freeorion/FreeOrion not in root this time :)

I also re-compiled/built and re-installed both OpenAL and ALUT and they seem to work fine now- I think I accidentally deleted the folders when I was done compiling/building them like I originally did with OGRE3D and other file dependencies and I should have just left them. Oh well- this time I left them all alone.

cmake . worked perfectly with absolutely no erros or anything missing and make is taking forever like it did the last 7 times LOL

I don't know why but at the end of the wiki page the compile instructions leave out make install- is that intentional? Just curious.

P.S.- I was using this particular page as an example compile page to follow in case anyone was wondering: http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Comp ... Lucid_Lynx

I will take some more screen shots later once I get the new FO up and running with goofy player names and empire names if possible.

-Dave