fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

shawndream
Space Kraken

fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF

#1 Post by shawndream »

I was trying to follow http://freeorion.org/index.php/Compile_In_Windows

I installed the SDK, MSVC 2010 express, TortoiseSVN.

I updated the Orion folder with TortoiseSVN and it seemed to pull down all the files fine.

Then I opened the FreeOrion.sln in MSVC and it scanned all the files and got ready.

I called Build on the Solution 'FreeOrion' 10 projects and it took a long time compiling them all, but it ended with an error:

8> Creating library ../../FreeOrion.lib and object ../../FreeOrion.exp
8> LINK : /LTCG specified but no code generation required; remove /LTCG from the link command line to improve linker performance
8>LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt
========== Build: 9 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

That last line seems to be the only real error, and 8 seems to be FreeOrion itself

7> Common.vcxproj -> C:\freeoriondev\FreeOrion_VS2010_SDK\FreeOrion\msvc2010\Common\../../Common.lib
8>------ Build started: Project: FreeOrion, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
9>------ Build started: Project: FreeOrionD, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
10>------ Build started: Project: FreeOrionCA, Configuration: Release Win32 ------

Sure enough, my folder is missing a FreeOrion.exe file. Comparing it to the FreeOrionD and FreeOrionCA that completed successfully it is also missing a FreeOrion.pdb file.

I copied the log text and the exp and lib to a folder and zipped it, then I tried rebuilding just on the FreeOrion subproject (instead of the whole thing).

It tried to rebuild 8 of the 10 (everything but FreeOrionD and FreeOrionCA) and wound up with the same error.

Anybody have an idea why it is refusing to compile? I don't know almost anything about windows linking, but I could attach the log and files zipped if it would help. (647k)

After I get back from the zoo with the kids I'll take a look at finding verbose linker settings, like helped the guy who was runnning out of memory compiling, see if I can get better errors.
Everything I post is self-created unless noted otherwise. It is simultaneously released under GPL 2.0 or later, CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, and GNU Free Documentation 1.2. Make something awesome with it please!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

shawndream wrote:LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt
In cases like this, it's often helpful to google the error message. I find various reports of the same error, such as this or this which suggest possible solutions. It doesn't appear to be a FreeOrion-specific issue.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

shawndream wrote:file invalid or corrupt
Just guessing (without having taken a look at Geoff's links): Maybe one of the files from SVN got corrupted when pulled from the repo? Or one of the files in the SDK got corrupted upon extraction? You could try to start over with a fresh copy of the SDK, a fresh working copy from the repo and see if the error persists.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

A similar issue has been reported before: viewtopic.php?p=63469#p63469

shawndream
Space Kraken

#5 Post by shawndream »

Geoff was entirely correct, the first AND second time... google said I needed MSVC 2010 Sp1, just like the last guy.

It took forever to download for some reason (had to retry several times) but after it actually installed I compiled successfully.

Thanks guys!
Everything I post is self-created unless noted otherwise. It is simultaneously released under GPL 2.0 or later, CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, and GNU Free Documentation 1.2. Make something awesome with it please!