Installation on Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal 64bit

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Installation on Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal 64bit

#46 Post by Dilvish »

It turned out that the FreeOrion cmake files already had some support for making linux packages (probably put in by the guy making Debian packages a few years ago). At initial glance t looks to me like they include the main executables and the "default" resources directory, but not other pieces you'd need, like GiGi and Ogre. But, if you can handle compiling & installing those per the standard compile instructions, which (I hope) have lower requirements than compiling all of FO, then perhaps one of these packages will provide the rest you need.

Here's the .deb file

Here's a .tar.gz
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

shadowwraith
Space Floater

#47 Post by shadowwraith »

Thank you for your reply Delvish

I tried the .deb it seemed to install OK apart from this error that popped up

Exert from xsession-errors
2013-03-15 11:56:39,883 - softwarecenter.backend - ERROR - error in _on_trans_finished 'Error: The package is of bad quality
The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn't allowed. This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person or organisation who provided this package file and include the details beneath.

Lintian check results for /tmp/FreeOrion-0.4.2-Linux.deb:
E: freeorion: control-file-has-bad-permissions md5sums 0664 != 0644
E: freeorion: maintainer-address-missing http://freeorion.org/forum
I then tried to run the game by going to the launch menu and then games, it was not there, so i went to check /usr/bin but the freeorion executable was installed in /usr so i tried ./freeorion from /usr

and this came up on the terminal
./freeorion: error while loading shared libraries: libGiGi.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
searched synaptic for GiGi, it was not there, did a google search for Gigi and apparently it's not in the debian repos at all because it's used exclusively by freeorion.

I tried installing GG from the svn downloaded yesterday it compiled and installed fine, but freeorion still could not find it, so i did a search for it, GG was installed in usr/local/lib so i created symlinks to libs from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib

libGiGi.so
libGiGiOgre.so
ibGiGiOgrePlugin_OIS.so
libGiGiSDL.so

They seemed to work but when i tried to run the game again, i got this error
./freeorion: error while loading shared libraries: libOgreMain.so.1.8.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I have ogre 1.8 installed but ogre 1.8.1 is not available in the repos yet (unless have to compile that as well), so i can say the installation of the deb file failed, but i greatly appreciate your help and i hope the info here helps, i may try the tar.gz version tomorrow and see if that works.

Sorry for the wall of text

Regards

Shadowwraith

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#48 Post by Dilvish »

For Ogre you have to make symlinks in the main FreeOrion directory, per the compile instructions (the instructions may also mention just changing an Ogre config file, but I don't think that ever worked for me). Though I guess it's sounding more like the issue is that it's insisting on Ogre 1.8.1. Let us know if you get that worked out; I guess I'll take a look at recompiling the packages against Ogre 1.8.0 if that's going to be significantly more readily available to folks.

I'll try to fix the bad md5sums. The packages were created entirely by CPack, an adjunct to CMake. So far I've pretty much just learned enough to recognize that the CMake files had a seemingly appropriate set of CPack instructions in them, & how to use them. My best clue is that it's related to this:

Code: Select all

Errors

If you are getting a:
"CMake Error: Md5sum_DIR is not set.  It must be set to the directory containing Md5sumConfig.cmake in order to use Md5sum."
This is mostly beause you did:
include(../CMake/UseDebian.cmake)
instead of setting the CMAKE_MODULE_PATH. Indeed the UseDebian.cmake rely on another cmake script: FindMd5sum.cmake which need to be found by cmake !
That's actually the only error the instructions I found warned about, so it sounds likely that the Md5sum was just not done right, as opposed to the package being broken in some more serious way. When I made the packages I did NOT get the error it warns about, but this still seems a likely culprit.
I then tried to run the game by going to the launch menu and then games
ya, I thought it should go there, in checking the package it gives me this:

Code: Select all

$ dpkg-deb -f FreeOrion-0.4.2-Linux.deb 
Package: freeorion
Version: 0.4.2
Section: games
Priority: optional
Architecture: amd64
Installed-Size: 260061
Maintainer: http://freeorion.org/forum
Description: FreeOrion is a free, open source, turn-based space empire and galactic conquest (4X) computer game being designed and built by the FreeOrion project. FreeOrion is inspired by the tradition of the Master of Orion games, but is not a clone or remake of that series or any other game.
which looks right; I'll try to look into that more also.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0