Visual C++ Express 2010 / Can't find python.exe

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

mserfas
Space Krill

Visual C++ Express 2010 / Can't find python.exe

#1 Post by mserfas »

I just installed Windows Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express on this computer, and tried to build the compile from msvc2010/FreeOrion.sln, and I keep getting

2> '"C:\FreeOrion_VS2010_SDK\FreeOrion\msvc2010\..\python.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
2> operable program or batch file.

I end up with five fatal errors and something like 8/12 modules compiled. I do have Python 2.7's python.exe in the system path (though I tried it without also) ... I'm guessing there must be some setting I need to make for the location in Visual C++, but can someone throw me a clue? Thanks :)

yandonman
Creative Contributor

Re: Dumb Windows question

#2 Post by yandonman »

Drop python.exe (and any dependants) into "C:\FreeOrion_VS2010_SDK\FreeOrion\" - it's used to create the build number file.
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

python.exe is included in the SDK that you appear to have downloaded, at the location it's looking. Why it wouldn't find this when compiling, I don't know.

Maybe the express edition is doing something weird with the build configurations? Make sure you're using the Release setting, if there are options.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Maybe the express edition is doing something weird with the build configurations?
I use the express edition too, everything works fine over here.

mserfas
Space Krill

Re: Visual C++ Express 2010 / Can't find python.exe

#5 Post by mserfas »

Hmmm... I must have done something stupid, because python.exe ended up deleted from the directory. Maybe I hit "delete unversioned files" when I was running in and out while cooking... I retried from scratch, and now I don't have that error... but still ended up with

8> Process.cpp
8> Creating library ../../FreeOrion.lib and object ../../FreeOrion.exp
8> LINK : /LTCG specified but no code generation required; remove /LTCG from the link command line to improve linker performance
8>LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt

Sigh...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

mserfas wrote:LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt
Google that error message and try whatever is suggested. It doesn't look like a FreeOrion-specific issue.

mserfas
Space Krill

#7 Post by mserfas »

You're entirely right (actually, I did that right off but it takes forever to know if something works... and then, the power went out!). Specifically, the problem was that I _had_ freshly installed Visual C++ 2010 Express, but apparently it needed a Service Pack update to work (I downloaded this from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983509/en-us ).

Now that I'm master of the world, I just have to figure out what to do next. :)