! FO4Win => FO4Cygwin?

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

Adamant
Space Kraken

! FO4Win => FO4Cygwin?

#1 Post by Adamant »

Cygwin adds some Share of Linux Enviroment to Windows.
KDE4Win does in another Way as well.
FO4Win stated to be deprecated.
FO for Cygwin could use more Linux like SRC.
Could FO4Win get continued by FO4Cygwin?
Install of Cygwin is quite simple and does take
for FO Scope more Investigation from User.
KDE4WIN does also support GUI launchable APPs.
FO4KDE&CygWin4Win could gladly continue Win-Support of FO in my Favor.

I do really not like Win even it seems like I aim here for alternative Win Support should, as heard Win-Support from FO is deprecatd, if it should disappear, I wont ask to keep/revive it, BUT may I ask if Support for lesser win like Cygwin possible? Due to Libs that could reduce Needs for remaining Utilization of Win Libs by Libs well known from Linux - even if may not all necessary - I dont know as never wrote for win or cygwin. In that Scope there exist also KDE for Win which offer perhaps also useful Libs to make FO4CygKDEWin SRC Support lesser depending from Win Libs resp reduce more remaining supporting Code. I like Win for real totally - other was fun. I do even now write with FireFox for Windows.
Pure Cyan harms PhotoReceptors doubtless - even half Portion appears mysterious.

wheals
Space Squid

Re: ! FO4Win => FO4Cygwin?

#2 Post by wheals »

Windows support isn't deprecated, it's just that the only good way to compile on windows right now is using MSVC. adrian broher was working on making it possible to compile using cmake on windows -- that way, I assume you could use cygwin or any other development tool.
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#3 Post by adrian_broher »

It's pretty much what wheal said with one small remark regarding 'compiling with cmake': cmake is used to generate a build system which can be msvc projects, makefiles, eclipse projects, … or similar. You use the generated build system to build freeorion, not cmake itself.

Also nobody ever talked about dropping windows support.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

shawndream
Space Kraken

#4 Post by shawndream »

As I mentioned elsewhere the MSVC toolchain was free and pretty easy to set up following the instructions, if you want to try compiling I'd be happy to help.
Everything I post is self-created unless noted otherwise. It is simultaneously released under GPL 2.0 or later, CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, and GNU Free Documentation 1.2. Make something awesome with it please!

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#5 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Geoff and I are both running Windows. It's not going anywhere any time soon.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Adamant
Space Kraken

#6 Post by Adamant »

I remind Statement Geoff saying that Windows Support is not canceled but deprecated.
What ever that means. Thus my Proposal hangs not totally in the Air...
I use actually Win but dont ... think about. : (secret win fan boy :D)
Pure Cyan harms PhotoReceptors doubtless - even half Portion appears mysterious.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#7 Post by Dilvish »

Adamant wrote:I remind Statement Geoff saying that Windows Support is not canceled but deprecated.
What ever that means.
I suspect you misread something. Can you give a link to the relevant post?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0