Test version 7064:unable to edit

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

winter leaf
Space Floater

Test version 7064:unable to edit

#1 Post by winter leaf »

I can't edit freeorion on my laptop,I tried the task manager,I looked throgh my files,and even restarted,and it still won't work.When i try to save my changes it says "Save failed:Please check if this file is open in another program".I am using Windows 7,Notepad++,Test 7064.
|I enclose this message in a text box|
Also( YES,not in a text box ) I release graphics,code,and other things under the licences used by this forum. :)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Test version 7064:unable to edit

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What do you mean by "edit freeorion"? Edit what file? (Full path, please...)

winter leaf
Space Floater

#3 Post by winter leaf »

I was trying to make a new ship hull in "ship_hulls.txt" if that helps in any way.
Also( YES,not in a text box ) I release graphics,code,and other things under the licences used by this forum. :)

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Full path, please...

winter leaf
Space Floater

#5 Post by winter leaf »

Really sorry about the confusion...turns out that all I needed to do was run as administrator....but I still don't understand why it gave that message...again,really sorry :(

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

I couldn't figure out the problem either (Winter Leaf is my stepdaughter), there was nothign open but Notepad++ was giving an error message I've never seen, it normally tells me I need admin rights to edit the file. Now I've got the hang of it I'll teach her how to setup an SVN repo and change the default directory, which'll make it easier.

I have zero clue why Notepad++ thought the file was open in another process instead of needing admin rights, but it's Windows so I'll blame that.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#7 Post by adrian_broher »

MatGB wrote:I couldn't figure out the problem either (Winter Leaf is my stepdaughter)[…]
I have mixed feelings about the fact that you begin roping in your relatives for freeorion testing, but well if she enjoys it. ;o)
MatGB wrote:I have zero clue why Notepad++ thought the file was open in another process instead of needing admin rights, but it's Windows so I'll blame that.
Maybe it was in fact already opened by another process. Could be a stray fo server or some anti virus file scanner or the explorer itself for providing preview data? If it happens again and you really want to know which programs have open file handles to this file you could take a look at with with the process explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx . But I also had problems myself with some inconsistent filesystem status so blaming Windows is also an option.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

As described, it sounded like the program was saying that it *might* be open in another process, to give a possible reason why it couldn't be saved. It might be guessing about that, and there could be another reason. Given that saving in admin mode fixed it, it might be that the file was write-protected for non-admin accounts, causing the save to fail, and the guessed reason to be given.

A non-admin workaround might be to copy the whole FreeOrion install, presumably out of Program Files which tends to cause issues with editing contained files (which is why I asked for the full path), and put it somewhere else, such as the desktop, and try editing it there.

winter leaf
Space Floater

#9 Post by winter leaf »

It stopped working again after a while,but it worked again when I saved it as a different file in documents.wierd... :? Just saying about it,but it really probably just makes determining the problem harder...it probably will help though.if I made sense.but i probably shouldn't complain about the problem on the freeorion forums.