create a local repository for test versions

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Själe
Space Floater

Re: create a local repository for test versions

#16 Post by Själe »

Thanks.

Thougt that "patch" means directly github and so. :oops:

Själe
Space Floater

#17 Post by Själe »

I've improved the German orthography and grammer, some expressions and added some little translations.

I try to proceed the translating.

I tryed to build a patch. I copied my new de.txt in the directory /default/stringtables and followed this way:

Dilvish wrote: In Linux one way to make that patch will be to open a terminal in the top FreeOrion directory and then use the command

Code: Select all

svn diff default/stringtables/de.txt > my_de_trans.patch

but the terminal answers:

knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sdb11/FreeOrion/Gita$ svn diff default/stringtables/de.txt > my_de_trans.patch
svn: »default/stringtables/de.txt« ist keine Arbeitskopie
Where I'm wrong?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#18 Post by Dilvish »

It's saying that default/stringtables/de.txt is "not a working copy", in other words it is not linked to the repository. It looks like you set up your own subdirectory "FreeOrion/Gita"-- is that where you were working? were you trying to run the diff on "FreeOrion/Gita/default/stringtables/de.txt?" If so, there's just one thing to note for an easy remedy. Unless you issued some special commands, svn doesn't know about your personal "Gita" subdirectory, it considers everything in there to be independent of svn. So simply replace the standard FreeOrion/default/stringtables/de.txt with your modified copy of de.txt, and then from the main FreeOrion directory run the same command as before. From what you quoted above I would expect that your full command line, including the command line prompt, would look like

knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sdb11/FreeOrion$ svn diff default/stringtables/de.txt > my_de_trans.patch
Don't be worried about replacing the standard file with your own, it could always easily be changed back to the standard version if you wanted to.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#19 Post by Chriss »

If you're not using svn but gita, you need to use the tools from that. As in "git diff" with whatever options.
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.

Själe
Space Floater

#20 Post by Själe »

I wanted to "pull" about smartgit.

Got these error note:

svn: E204900: Can't set position pointer in file '/svn/p/freeorion/code/db/revs/8020': Invalid argument
svn: E175002: OPTIONS of '/p/freeorion/code/trunk/FreeOrion': 500 Internal Server Error (http://svn.code.sf.net)
What I have to do?

It depends to my "de.txt-patch-error"?

Yes, /gita is my repository.
Few days ago i pulled it and it was o.k.

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#21 Post by Chriss »

I am not sure.
But look, you're using a client for the git version control system to access a svn repository. Git and svn are both version control systems, but they are not the same thing, and employ a very different philosophy. Yes, your smartgit client has some functionality to access svn repositories. And yes, there are some people here who also use git with the svn repository, adrian_brother I think. But that does not mean that it is an easy solution. Some of your questions seem rather basic, so I'm wondering if this rather advanced setup is the right one for you? Why do you try to use smartgit instead of a svn client?

However, this:

[chris@desk freeorion-svn]$ svn update FreeOrion/
Aktualisiere »FreeOrion«:
svn: E175002: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'https://svn.code.sf.net/p/freeorion/code/trunk/FreeOrion'
svn: E175002: Unerwarteter HTTP-Status 500 »Internal Server Error« auf »/p/freeorion/code/trunk/FreeOrion«

svn: E000022: Zusätzliche Fehler:
svn: E000022: Can't set position pointer in file '/svn/p/freeorion/code/db/revs/8020': Invalid argument

[chris@desk freeorion-svn]$ svn checkout http://svn.code.sf.net/p/freeorion/code/trunk freeorion-code
svn: E175002: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'http://svn.code.sf.net/p/freeorion/code/trunk'
svn: E175002: Unerwarteter HTTP-Status 500 »Internal Server Error« auf »/p/freeorion/code/trunk«

svn: E000022: Zusätzliche Fehler:
svn: E000022: Can't set position pointer in file '/svn/p/freeorion/code/db/revs/8020': Invalid argument
Seems to be an issue with the svn repository. URL for checkout is from http://sourceforge.net/p/freeorion/code/?source=navbar so it should be correct. Any ideas?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#22 Post by Vezzra »

Chriss wrote:Any ideas?
Looks like sourceforge having issues.

Again. :roll:

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#23 Post by Chriss »

Maybe they've upgraded their boost library and are now missing an include? Again? :roll:

Själe
Space Floater

#24 Post by Själe »

I refreshed my repository three days ago.
I'm wondered about, that the smartgit automatically clones it. It took some time but I think it's now normal.

I will it refresh again in the next days and then I try to compile.

Ore it's bether, if I wait till sunday becaus of the facts in viewtopic.php?f=4&p=75583#p75583 ?
Is this important for my case? At my first look I didn't understand enough to dispose it.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#25 Post by Vezzra »

Själe wrote:Ore it's bether, if I wait till sunday becaus of the facts in viewtopic.php?f=4&p=75583#p75583 ?
Is this important for my case?
Yes and yes. We are migrating our official repo to github, so you'll have to switch to that new repo to get the current sources.

Själe
Space Floater

#26 Post by Själe »

So I'm happy about my slowness. :)