Fatal exceptions when loading old saves not crashing FO

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

Fatal exceptions when loading old saves not crashing FO

#1 Post by Cpeosphoros »

I just did a "git pull", recompiled, etc.

When trying to load a recent save from my latest build, hoping it would still work, it didn't (as expected, it happens most of the time.)

What didn't happen was the expected FO crash.

The client UI's Messages window says:

Code: Select all

Creating AI clients
And stays there forever.

The terminal from which I launched FO says:

Code: Select all

$ ./freeorion
FreeOrion server waiting for network events
main() caught exception(std::runtime_error): Invalid empire ID specified for order.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::lock_error> >'
  what():  boost: mutex lock failed in pthread_mutex_lock: Invalid argument
main() caught exception(std::runtime_error): Invalid empire ID specified for order.
And also stays there forever.

Shouldn't those exceptions just crash everything and throw me back to the terminal prompt?
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

Re: Fatal exceptions when loading old saves not crashing FO

#2 Post by Cpeosphoros »

Just saw this: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/524

Probably the same issue.
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#3 Post by adrian_broher »

Cpeosphoros wrote:Probably the same issue.
It's the same outcome, but a different issue.

In general please create a github issue for bugs, scattering error/bug reports doesn't help the team sanity.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

It already happens in some cases, that if the server crashes, the client notices and aborts back to the intro screen. Sometimes the servers ends up hung waiting for some message that will never come, though, leading to this situation. It would be good to add some periodic ping messages between clients and server, to verify everything's still connected, but that hasn't been implemented.

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Cpeosphoros »

adrian_broher wrote:
Cpeosphoros wrote:Probably the same issue.
It's the same outcome, but a different issue.

In general please create a github issue for bugs, scattering error/bug reports doesn't help the team sanity.
Yes, I'm starting to learn that.

Should I do that also for feature suggestions? I mean, not game altering suggestions, but UI improvements, etc.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Cpeosphoros wrote:Should I do that also for feature suggestions? I mean, not game altering suggestions, but UI improvements, etc.
It certainly can't hurt. Suggestions made on the forum have a tendency to get buried after some time (naturally), if no one picks the suggestion up and implements it soon (or at least puts it on their personal todo list). Things on the repo issues list have a better chance of not being forgotten :)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:It certainly can't hurt.
As long as they are tagged appropriately, so can be filtered from the unambiguous bugs.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Vezzra wrote:It certainly can't hurt.
As long as they are tagged appropriately, so can be filtered from the unambiguous bugs.
Ah yes, of course, thanks for pointing that out.

@Cpeosphoros: the "feature" tag would be the one to use for feature requests.

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

#9 Post by Cpeosphoros »

Vezzra wrote:@Cpeosphoros: the "feature" tag would be the one to use for feature requests.
I can't choose tags (labels) when opening an issue. I don't even see a disabled UI element for labeling.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

Cpeosphoros wrote:I can't choose tags (labels) when opening an issue. I don't even see a disabled UI element for labeling.
Hmpf, that's annoying. Apparently only team members with write/push access can set labels... I mean, I can understand that for changing the labels on issues you didn't create yourself, but you should at least be able to add labels when you create an issue. Well, nothing we can do about it, which means the we, the devs, have to do that.

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

#11 Post by Cpeosphoros »

Vezzra wrote:
Cpeosphoros wrote:I can't choose tags (labels) when opening an issue. I don't even see a disabled UI element for labeling.
Hmpf, that's annoying. Apparently only team members with write/push access can set labels... I mean, I can understand that for changing the labels on issues you didn't create yourself, but you should at least be able to add labels when you create an issue. Well, nothing we can do about it, which means the we, the devs, have to do that.
No problems. I have a small bunch of suggestions that I will post tomorrow. I'll prefix then with "(Feature)", and then someone with write access can edit that part out when labeling them.